Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

including flatpatern into a drawing

design-engine

How do most people do a flat pattern in a drawing?

1. Manage the flat pattern with a family table

2. Using View Manager and simplified reps

3. other

Bart,

I typically create the flat pattern as a family table, and place the view of the flat pattern in the drawing for reference only. The part should be manufactured from the formed state, and not the flat pattern. The drawing therefore contains two part models (Ex: part numbers 10-1000 & 10-1000_flat) where the formed state (generic) is the active model.

Some companies wish to manufacture from the flat pattern, which could be okay if done internally after making adjustments to the flat pattern. Some engineers first design as a flat then make bends to create the formed state. This is usually not considered a best practice, and this method is okay when developing a concept. However, when it becomes time to prototype a part, create the flat pattern from the formed state.

I have always done it with family tables too. Kev pointed out the new way. Ill try the flatstate method. I've seen that way done but didn't recall how to get to it. Thanks

Okay... it works much like the family table method. You create the flat pattern and manage if its on or off with the flat state. Then manage the drawing the same as the family table method. Thanks.

When I called up the part again the software prompted me for an instance much like family tables. Can anyone elaborate on States vs Instances?
Edited by: design-engine

c_thompson_68 said:
Bart,

I typically create the flat pattern as a family table, and place the view of the flat pattern in the drawing for reference only. The part should be manufactured from the formed state, and not the flat pattern.

I agree with this, if the fabricator is going off of the flat pattern and you expect it to be accurate to the formed part you might be in for a surprise.

sure because the K factor information is relative number. Relative to grain direction, temperature in the fabrication shop and how worn out the tooling might be.

AFAIK key issues in bendfactors are first material and tooling. Bending aluminium is different to bending steel. Tooling is different in the kind of knife (sharp, rounded) and V (size) that is used, but this is also connected to material thickness.

Further correcting factors are indeed bending direction in relation to the direction the sheet was rolled. The angle that is being bent is also important and the machine being used can also influence the outcome when everything else is similar.

In my experience you can only work starting from flat when you're in close relation to the workshop (it's in your own company or the people doing it are confident that you follow their rules). In all other cases people start with the finished model and produce a flat out of their own expertise.

Alex

jason_ said:
c_thompson_68 said:
Bart,

I typically create the flat pattern as a family table, and place the view of the flat pattern in the drawing for reference only. The part should be manufactured from the formed state, and not the flat pattern.

I agree with this, if the fabricator is going off of the flat pattern and you expect it to be accurate to the formed part you might be in for a surprise.

And this why I use the flat state method, I can control the K factor by choosing the correct table

Kev

EDIT:

This doesn't get you 100% correct (rem that all press breaks are different) but gets you damn close.....Personally, it is the suppliers problem to make sure that the metal blanks he uses are correct for his press break
Edited by: prohammy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back