Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

In your perspective - what is used the most across the u.s.?

>Revenues last year for autodesk were $824m

>Revenues last year fot PTC was $742m

I stand corrected. It appears EDS is the Goliath with 21502 million in revenue (2002) however the MCAD software contribution for EDS is probably about equal to Autodesk, PTC and Dassault.

Somewhere recently I just read a piece that had figures for number of seats sold. Maybe that's where I was confused.

-Bernie-

Dear Nose Bleed,

The only option out there that might support the import of a model into the control (pending you are not requiring feature based manufacturing) is to have a windows based control that uses a 3-D modeling and manufacturing package. I know that Fadal has a control that has Virtual Gibbs on it. As far as importing 3-D files into the control for use, I am not sure but that may be a place to start!

ctarmijo

From what I've been told it's great at surface modeling. I'm guessing it would be similar to the ISDX module. I suppose aesthetics are a big part of this but it's also important for aerodynamics. Trek claims to have saved 10 Watts of energy by cheating the wind on Lances time trial bike which they figure is something like a one minute advantage over a 50 kilometer time trial.

What I found interesting is that the creators are Robert McNeel and Associates right here in Seattle. McNeel & buddies original claim to fame was selling an add on utility to AutoCAD that actually made the user interface productive without having to learn LISP.

-Bernie-

I have rhino and its great for converting files and some quick a nd dirty file repair on other peoples iges files.

Mike

yeh its cool

though release 3 does seem to be a bit unstable

it is the best thing i have used for data translation - possibly worth its cost for that alone

the surface data can be a bit of a bitch to get into pro sometimes

the best thing about it is it price - how much!????

im lucky and get to use isdx as well but seeing as how much isdx costs compared to the whole of rhino (including flamingo) seems PTC need shooting

how much does a basic rhino package run?

Does Rhino have a fluids/nonlinear simulation package? How did they (Trek) test aerodynamics?

I lived in california for 12 years. In my opinion Pro/E and Solidworks target small to medium sized high tech companies on the cutting edge. Beyond that Catia targets mass producing industries such as automotive and aerospace.

Like you I'm beginning to learn ProE I already know solidworks.

I lived in california for 12 years. In my opinion Pro/E and Solidworks target small to medium sized high tech companies on the cutting edge. Beyond that Catia targets mass producing industries such as automotive and aerospace.

Like you I'm beginning to learn ProE I already know solidworks.

I worked for NASA for 8 years, and they used AutoCad..., and only let their engineers use AutoCad LITE!!

To this day, their Engineers (at the facility I used to work at) are only allowed to use AutoCad lite - or nothing at all!!!

Even their drafting department isn't allowed to upgrade to solid modeling!! It's all done in 2D, with no simulations!!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back