Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Imported phantom surfaces

rude

I have some imported geometry that has phantom quilts that only show up in 2D drawings and in layers. I have tried to eliminate them by deleting layers that show up, solidfying and deleting, etc. I alos tried loading the the import as an assembly and deleting the geometry that way but failed. I was able to successfully use the trim function to elimintae a few. However the quilts that "float in space" I can not eliminate/delete using trim or similar functions.

Does anybody have way to eliminate/delete phantom surfaces from imported IGES and STP files?

rude,

I recommend you make a new layer, select the import geometry feature in total ( from the feature tree) for that layer, and hide the layer. In your drawing you should then be able to hide the layer and hide the extra surfaces.

You probably have some failed import surfaces and or miscellaneous extra surfaces made at the time the import was made.

If you do not have a completed quilt or solid you will also be hiding some surfaces in your model when you hide the import. I suggest you copy the surfaces you need and hide the import.

cheers,

M

If your imported feature is a solid... (This is important)
Try Right clicking on the feature and hiding it.
Then Go into the Layer tree and save Status.
Then Refresh you drawing.

Thanks y'all,

I tried these solutions you describe but met with failure. The entire import is a series of surfaces. Trying to count them in the layer tree there were over 2500 surfaces. Not really something I can easily select and do manually.

The way I am going to solve this is by brute strenght and awkwardness. I am going to take the "important" information from the part and just re-create it myself. I've sepnt well over 3 days trying to wrestle with it when I can probably re-create it in less than 8 hours based on the information that is availibale tome in the file.

Thanks again for your help

RueDog

Select import feature> RMB> EDIT DEF> DELETE key on key board> select items (surfaces, curves, whatever)> OK> DONE> DONE

Sounds like you would have alot of selecting to do, though.

Also note, there is no UNDO here. Changes are 'final' after the last <DR>.

roto,

Excellent. Thanks for the help. This worked at selcting the phantoms. Now the fun begins at solidifying the remianig "good"surfaces.

This itself can be a huge undertaking, depending on the quality of the import. Sometimes there are hundreds of tiny surfaces and getting all the edges lined up without adversly effecting the geometry can be brutal. There are a few tricks to finding all those one-sided edges, if needed. Keep us posted.

Good Luck!

TRIM FUNCTION IS PROVING USEFUL BEFORE SELECTING THE PHANTOMS...YEP i SAVED ORIGINAL TRANSLATION BEFORE STARTING. It is pretty tough to find everything

I don't think these have been posted before, so here's my tips:

I use the 'pre-Wildfire' color scheme- dark background and yellow one-sided edges. My eyes prefer the increased contrast. The Wildfire quilt edge display colors are too close, IMHO.

VIEW> DISPLAY SETTINGS> SYSTEM COLORS> SCHEME> USE PRE-WILDFIRE

Once you get down to the really small pieces that are difficult to find try this:

1. <LI>make sure spin center is turned on</LI>
    <LI>VIEW> ORIENTATION> REORIENT> TYPE (drop down)> PREFERENCES> EDGE OR AXIS>...</LI>
    <LI>cntrl + F> LOOK FOR: EDGE, LOOK BY: EDGE, TYPE: IS EQUAL TO: ONE-SIDED></LI>
    <LI>Here you'll see how many you have to fix. Select one, andfinish tools. Nowjust zoom in on the spin center. Repeat for remaining edges. </LI>

It's a long path/process, but can be very helpful for particularly bad files. I created a mapkey, but you can only get up to the FIND tool that way. I think it could be automated further with a PRO/Toolkit app, but I'm not sure.

Good Luck!

Roto,

you must have alot of spare time...

Rude,

I suggest you look up the topic of "import data doctor" and "heal geometry". It sounds like you are doing alot of work that the software can probably do for you...I would never select individual surfaces in large numbers from a surface set of 2500.
you might also consider matching the accuracy of the import data by setting the accuracy in your pro e part before import. Pro-e is notorious for making the import alot harder than it needs to be.

cheers,

M

I used the heal geometry pick but the data on the surfaces were far too large to accurately fix. It would make some strange assumptions and completely miss what i was trying to do. I am half way through the geometry now going thru re-creations...gonna be a long one I think...oh well.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back