Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

impending layoffs....

design-engine

With the state of the economy ... and all the talk of layoffs... it doesn't do much for us to reach distress.

distress is when you wife is divorcing you and you don't have a job and she is taking the kids and you cant do anything about it. Stress is when you can still do something about your situation.

Stress is good but distress can ruin even the most durable personalities.

I want to write an article that is uplifting and empowers contractors to do all within their grasp. I was hoping to get some comments-materials-ideas for the article form you guys.

What can you do as an individual to keep your current position at work weather it is as a contractor or permanent or manager? self worth might be a start?

1 engineering degree with more responsibility and less pay makes you more valuable to the company.
2 attitude - or at least the appearance of a great attitude uplifts others in the group
3 multiple skills - manage projects, run Pro/E, manage others, use surfacing, plastics, graphics, Maya, photoshop...
4 takes initiative - enroll and pay for classes on your own
6 above and beyond or flexible - sweep floors, get coffee, teach others.
7 constantly acquire new skills...
8 smart and fast - able to figure things out quickly (but that is what engineers do and why you hire one)
9 sell - if you can sell your company product then you are guaranteed a job I would think
10 Non argumentative - shut up and do it and don't argue. some contractors have that problem

Edited by: design-engine

11.... Date the bosses daughter. Its working for me at the moment
smiley36.gif

12.... Will fill in more tomorrow when im back at work. Listening to football right now and drinking wine, probably not in the best frame of mood for responding to serious questions.

After talking about this all day at the office i have the top topic "value added".What piece of the puzzle to you have that the operation cant run with out? specialize. Unique, differentiate.

I'm writing what seems to be a two pronged article on these main topics below and thought i might get some help from you guys. Kinda the same topic really.

"To keep yourself from being laid off..."

"If you do find yourself laid off..."

I was laid off back in 2001, just before Christmas....thanks boss!!!

To get myself back into work I made use of my list of contacts and got in touch with recruitment companies, went to exhibitions. One of the SolidWorks resellers I was friendly with let me set up my laptop at their exhibition and sell myself to potential employers. I ended up with 3 offers of permanent work and 2 offers for contracting within one weel of being told I was going.

Call on people you've met in the past. Yes, things aren't good at the minute but if they really want to get back into work, contact people. Do everything you can.

Skint....you dog...
smiley20.gif
. Was that her in the Santa outfit you posted before Christmas?
smiley2.gif

Save money for the company. Look at area's of wastage and put a stop to it.

Do it right the first time...

Good Stuff.I am always trying to better myself, but someitmes you have to point it out to management that you are either bettering yourself or doing something for the company. Is there a tactfull way we can point out to our managers that we are saving money in a drastic way or taking classes on your own dime?

I seeing a split in things we can do for impending layoffs... one for before you get the pink slip and things we can do after we get the pink slip. Here are a few more ideas for after you get the pink slip....

Realize many companies have an exit strategy in place for their workers. There are outside firms that are responsible for aiding your transition from working to job searching. There are often training monies dedicated to the laid off designer or engineer. Inquire with your HR department to learn what training or retraining budget there is for you. Take Pro/ENGINEER classes (okay solidworks classes too). Learn new skills and or force yourself under stress to learn a new specialization. See this time as an opportunity to further develop yourself.

If I you are told that your being laid off, would it make sense to counter-offer by asking to become part-time, paid a reduced salary or paid by the hour (as we provide services to customers on an hourly basis, and every hour you work means revenue for the company)?

What messages should companies give in a layoff situation, both for the laid off designer or engineer as well as the remaining designers?

I agree with trying to train in different areas. I got phone calls last week asking if I'd be interested in teachinga further education college across from where I'm working. Sincethe manufacturing industry is so unstable I'm considering it. Education is probably on eof the most stable places to work at the minute. I do wish though I'd done my teacher's certicicate after I graduated, it would have given me more options if lay-off time comes around.

I think a counter offer is a good idea but from personal experience, some of the companies pick the people they don't want around any more, the easy targets so to speak and get rid of them. That's what our company did last year. If they really wantrid of someone, there's no negotation. Though I would try it.

Quite often it's only when a company is in dire straits that the empoyees find out and before they know it, they're out the door. I believe that when things are looking rocky (mainly applying to small companies) that they should open up to the employees and ask them for their ideas on how to improve the situation, whether it be to come up with new products, new designs, altered working hours, change job positions to have more people out selling the company and fewer in the office....etc.

I did a little looking around and reading on the Tinternet during lunch, interested in this topic. Bart, you may find some of this interesting :

""
<H2>What to do if you

I think the volunteer suggestion is a good one and is worth repeating. What's going on is bigger than one person or one's circumstances.

I've been cooking at home recently so in the event of loosing my job I can apply to McDonalds or KFC and toss burgers
smiley29.gif
.....mmmm....burgers!!!!

[-Skint- said:
]

michael3130 said:
I've been cooking at home recently so in the event of loosing my job I can apply to McDonalds or KFC and tossintoburgers
smiley29.gif
.....mmmm....burgers!!!!

smiley24.gif
lol

You're a sick man Skint...lol

For all those in the US, is there a standard redundancy package set by government for most companies?

michael3130 said:
For all those in the US, is there a standard redundancy package set by government for most companies?

No laws exist in the US. Typically, though a company will offer something like 2 weeks severance for every year employed. Sometimes they'll offer retirement packages for older workers consisting of a lump sum payout or annuitized payments. Contractors get a box for their stuff and bus fare, maybe a couple smokes if they pass by the smokers pen on their way out.

I would defiantly get fired if I was a contractor and spent as much time on forms as I do.

Here are some more ideas I have been working on....

Create a linkedin account and encourage your co-workers to make recommendations about your performance at work. Linkedin.com is a professional networking site and there you will find engineers, industrial designers and electrical engineers complete with their resumes. Linkedin.com strengthens and extends your existing network of trusted contacts. LinkedIn is a networking tool that helps you discover inside connections to others as well.

Be open about leaving. No matter where you are with the situational shock, first comes depression, sadness then relief, and finally maybe even joy- If you can keep a good attitude and let others know through your actions that it’s okay to talk about it. Don't let your actions appear shamed.

Make the remaining time your own. Odd as it might seem, the time between being notified of a layoff and actually leaving a company can be wonderful. No longer did I have to worry about deadlines or meetings. And I was not yet into the task of finding a job. Instead, spend time with colleagues and friends with a different agenda in mind --- that of honoring our time together. Visit the company library, read past issues of professional journals. Take advantage of the slew of classes available at the company on-site fitness center. To have access to such resources, and have it all on my own time was an unexpected joy.

Look for the story behind the events. It is hard on your supervisor to let you go. Make a point in asking your supervisor how he/she was able to make sense of your layoff. By understanding their perspective, essentially the story he told to herself/himself. The conversation might help you to make sense of it it all as well. You don't have to agree with the story. The key is to understand that we each have a story.

Gather your best work for your portfolio. Even Engineers can utilize a portfolio of work. ***Although the problem is the work you created is top secret or not released to the market yet and you cant show it. You might be able to show it in an interview.Building up a portfolio of work to show a future employer is obvious. Ask your employer before leaving, what you can show ... Practice showing your portfolio to friends. Time the process and develop a story highlighting your involvement in the project.

thanks but I have a staff to help me with that sorta stuff.I simply need help with content... suggestions for more material .. ideas other than training to get sh*t to happen.

.... I did laugh tho. "rite papers".

I once made a negative grade on a 9th grade spelling test. students were to use sentences with each word. I misspelled words in each sentence.

I have brought some plastic parts I've designed to interviews. It's nice to be able to show parts which have gone into production.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back