Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

I don't want those datums showing in my drawing

swcalvert

I've seen this before but can't remember how to do it. I'm in Wildfire and by default all my datums show up when I open a drawing, so I have to click the plane and axis buttons to get them turned off.

How can I do this all the time? Is it in the .dtl file or drawing config file?

TIA,

Steve C

only thing I could find is at View and then Display settings and then Datum Display. I have all things turned off there and never see any datums when I'm creating drawings.

At File --> Properties --> Drawing options you also can change a bunch of standard settings.

Don't know anything about a .dtl file though...

Good luck!

Wouter

Peterbrown, doesn't that set the datum display for the model, too? I really want my model to display the datums, I just don't want them to show up in the drawing everytime I open it. I know that I can save layer status, but I'm not sure this is the correct way of doing it.

Steve C

You have no choice but to turn them off when in a drawing. There are no settings other than what Peter gave you and those setting are for Pro/E startup only.

Saving you layer status does the job.

You can even seperate the layer status of your drawing and your part. So save the status with every layer blanked, and don't hit that save status button again!

Huug

Huug...

This is fine, but I wish Pro-E just let you set drawing datum displays seperately from the model. You have to do this to each and every drawing... unless maybe you change the start parts... Hmmm.

I often want the datums shown on the model, but hardly ever need them on drawings... in fact, probably more like never.

What you wish can be easily done.

The short answer.

In config.pro have the following:
drawing_setup_file drawing.dtl (add path as needed)

In the drawing.dtl have
draw_layer_overrides_model yesignore_model_layer_status yes

In the model:
Create a layer and add all the datums to it.

In the drawing :
Set and save the layer status as desired. Then don't use save status (in the drawing) afterward. You my change and save the layer status of the models as you desire, but only when working with the model outside of the drawing.

For the currently active drawing:
You can also toggle the drawing.dtl options interactively by:
Starting in the layer tree, choose the settings dropdown, choose "drawing layer status" from the menu, check both options in the resulting dialog box.

Edit: The last point is most likely the item preventing you from getting the desired results.

Edited by: gkbeer

gkbeer said:
In the drawing :
Set and save the layer status as desired. Then don't use save status (in the drawing) afterward. You my change and save the layer status of the models as you desire, but only when working with the model outside of the drawing.

Why is this, anytime you change your layer status in the drawing, shouldn't you 'save status' as well?

By the way, I recognize your name from LLNL, small world. Jason Bland is the name, I worked there as a PTC Consultant for a couple of years then worked for the Integration group on NIF with Tom Huppler and those guys. I stay in touch with him from time to time still.
Edited by: jason_

Had to think about "Why shouldn't you" It's tough to give a concise answer.

Two words "Configuration Management" NIF now has a serious configuration managment program where released and modified files may not be checked into commonspace.

Change and save the status of layers in an assembly and you modify everything in that assembly, including the released files.

Retrieving and assembly and having it buried under datums is counter productive. When it's a large assembly it can take more time than I want to clear the diasplay.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back