Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

i can’t unroll a sheet metal tube

MB2011SD

I am practicing with pro-e sheetmetal. I created an 8.00" I.D. tube that is 0.1046 thick. Then I sliced the tube in half. I want to unroll the material to make a flat pattern. When i press the "create flat pattern" button, and then touch my part, it doesn't unroll it.

Does Pro-E allow you to unroll something like this? so far, I have never been able to do it using pro-e 4.0

If anyone can offer any help, it is greatly appreciated.

@mb2011sd,

I created the part exactly as you have described. Created the pipe in Part mode, made a cut in Part mode, Entered sheetmetal mode, Converted it to sheetmetal, and the created the Flat Pattern by clicking on the "EDGE".

Thanks both of you guys. I followed Srinivas' advice and I was stunned that it worked when i touched the edge. i am going to try Kirk's method now. Thanks a bunch. This was very frustrating. :)

I've got the opposite problem. I want to take a sheet with interlocking notches and tabs and roll it up. Pro/E will let me roll it but not at a small enough radius. I suppose it is because the locking tabs need to go past 360 degrees. Any ideas how I should make tis part?

View attachment 5399

if you make it as an assembly with a join along the spine it will get over the 360 wrap [ it might be a workaround]

Very nice, thank you.
smiley32.gif

Just one question. What function does feature 6 (Wall id 77) serve? I deleted it and saw no difference in the model.

Variation on a theme, I got it to unfold and make sure the mating ends will always be perfect with this method. Just jpgs but you can see the tree as to how it was done.
I added a spline to the thin cut but Pro failed to convert it to a sheet metal part with the spline . That would have been impressive.... but no go.
Pick an edge when you flatten.

Regards,
Chris

2011-10-17_144735_tube.rar

Nice. I had tried something similar but my thin cut was defined differently and it would not convert to sheetmetal.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back