Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Hw to perform a cut on iges models ProE

sanjayr2

Hi,

I wanted to cutsome portionfrom an *.igesmodel which is a Drill bit . The iges modelis as an import feature. Now when I go to Feature>Create> the cut option is not activated.

If any of you has done this please let me know the procedure. I am using ProE2001.

I am uploading the file for ur refence I want to retain the tip on the cutting edge side upto say 5mm height. Rest all I want to trim.

2005-07-18_224808_2535.zip

Thanks!!!!

Sanjay

Sanjay,

you need to make the iges import a solid feature before you can make a cut

do a search on iges import and there should be a thread on the steps to do this

You might just want to model the whole thing up in ProE..

It might take less time than trying to cleanup the import

I am unable to open the .stp file in ProE2001..It seems it doesnt recognize this format. Is it possible to convert it into .stl format from .stp format.

Well even if I can convert .iges files to .stl it will be great. Because what i need finally is the .stl format to import the model in a FEA sofware..

Plsss revert back...

Thanks for all the help extended so far...

What error are you getting calling up the step file, it should work.

I could give you and stl file but zipped up it's 1.2 mb's, to big to upload

There is no error. The problem is that the step file doesnt show when i try to openthe fileusing ProE2001. And thus I cannot open it.

Well if u have an stl file of the same model you can try sending it to my yahoo address:

[email protected]

I think it will work.

Thanks a ton!!!

you go to open file and to the drop down box and look down the list..it's there

there is a parametric drill file right here at the link above .. did you try to open that?

You step/iges import in.. all you have is a imported feature.. why not a parametric?

It's already a prt file..

Hi Wsylvester,

The thing works!! Thanks a lot..I wanted to know how did u generate the .stp file from the .iges file that i had uploaded. Just for my knowledge..

Just to learn I tried saving the iges as stp. But when i opened the .stp file the Feature>Create> Cut is not activated..while when i open your .stp file in it the cut feature is activated..If u lemme know I will be grateful..

thanx again

Sanjayr2,

Moroso converted the file for you not I. Sohe probably imported the original Iges file healed the geometry and then re-export as step. Guessing also that he used Wildfire not r2001 which from my understanding has been improved with something called the Data Doctor... then exported as step because you are on r2001 and can not accept a WF prt file.. Step generally works better and to re-iges out, the problem would more than likely re-introduce itself.

I opened up your file last night and it didn't autofix itself too well.. .. late and time to go to sleep.. didn't really mess with it too much... I thought there might have been a parameter drill in all the tool files that are in one of the folder that one never uses.. then I noticed there was a parametric drill under the files sections here.

While step and iges or any import feature can fills ones need , they don't give you the power and flexibilty of a true proe file. You might d/l the file here then you should be able to make it any diameter you want. It does say on the brief it is r2001sv but when I tried to load at home it said it was commercial.

When you loaded the iges and then saved to step the geometry was not solid , so the new step file would not be either.

It's really Moroso you need to thank... not me...I just showed you where the step pick was. But try the file here and see if that comes in for you.
smiley4.gif

The Data Doctor in Wildfire 2.0 is about the same as 2001 except for some shuffling of things.

The part cleaned up very easily

Glad it worked

The Data Doctor in Wildfire 2.0 is about the same as 2001 except for some shuffling of things.

Why does that not surprise me too much
smiley36.gif
... I might have some improprer settings in my config.pro for importing iges.... it surely didn't heal up well on my end..I didn't mess with it too much as it was getting late

care to share what your settings are and I'll compare

Still curious about the file that is here... I see a family table in the zip file....my guess that it is all the drills anyone could ever want

Can you post the link to the drill file download? I searched the files for "drill" and "bit" but came up empty.

it says on the brief that it is a r2001 student version... but I tried to load in to sv... it told me it was a commercial version

"care to share what your settings are and I'll compare"

No problem, really I don't have any settings that effect the Import Data Doctor.

All I did was redefine the geometry, select heal geometry, automatic, all surfs, compute, accept.

This is off the top of my head so it might not be exact. Typically I do this first to see how it heals the geomtery, if it makes it worse then I heal smaller portions.

You're on Student Edition right? ... maybe it is different compare to the commercial version

Hi Moroso,

Thanks a lot for the help..the thing worked really fine...

How excatly the Data Doctor works? Does it generate the solid from the surface based on interpolation of points bounded by closed surfaces.

I wanted to know the process that one can use to convert .iges to .step file..

Thanks again...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back