Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Human skeleton / bones

tbrightman

I'm trying to locate a source for 3D models (Pro/E or iges) of human bones.

If anyone has come across such a resource I would GREATLY appreciate a pointer.

I've not found any "true" human forms to download. Not to mention, if they are out there, they would likely not be free. Our resolution was to physically model the particular form requiredand have the models scanned, converted and exported to ProE format.

If you have particular requirements (i.e. 5th percentile, 95th percentile), you may have to locate a physical model and have it scanned

Try search in rapid prototyping forums.

I've seen a lot of ads for RP-services and equipments showing human parts/bones and I now that surgeons sometimes use it to plan complicated operations.

I have some parts

Head skeletons or others .......

You need something special?

Cristelino

PS :James;you again
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Cristelino

Yip! me again! ye guys must be sick of me!
smiley35.gif

see unfortunately I chose a Masters that would "challange" me and force me to learn as much about proe as possible! guess I made the right project choice!
smiley20.gif

And thank god for this forum!
smiley10.gif

so yeah, anything you have to do with the hand/arm would be very benificial to me..

Thanks!
Edited by: james.lynch

cristelino

Are the parts you have something you can post in the parts download area? Are they a certain segment of the population?

So

The rapid prototyping is the simple way to have quickly some bone parts

Imagine someone after an car accidet need to REPLACE some bones with
bio_compatible element formed starting Rapid Prototyping
models

Usually we work with heads Biotomography;or other backface bones
because is necesarry to replace with high accuracy the missed or
defformed parts

But we have sometimes others parts .....

Watt we receiving are incompleted bons strctures tomography and based
on Human body simetry we rebuild exactly the missing parts or wie try
to develop very close 3D GEOMETRY

But the problem is the files:are very Big and is not efective a part model (like usual way think 3D MODELS

Cristelino, if possible could I have some scan data? anything at all... I am just looking into learning REX (as part of my "learn Everything" plan.. ) and would like a good project to get me started!
smiley4.gif

you seem to be doing some very interesting work!
Edited by: james.lynch

what is rex?

i have a model of a friend which had a body scan. the file is a obj
file which pro-e loads up. but its comes up as like a billion polygons.

its wierd how big the file is though

a.obj = 60 meg

a.zip = 11 meg

a.prt = 300 meg

any idea how to convert this to a nice smoothed surface?

Puppet my good man, REX is the thing to do it! Reverse Engineering eXtension!

[url]http://www.ptc.com/appserver/it/icm/cda/icm01_list.jsp?group =201&show=y&keyword=870 [/url]

REX Allows you to
<LI>Obtain point cloud management and refinement, facet modeling and refinement, robust curve creation, robust surface modeling and shape recognition tools.
<LI>Transform existing physical products in to 3D digital models.
<LI>Make modifications to these designs.
<LI>Create surface connections for curvature (G2) within the Restyle module.
<LI>Automatically generate curve-patch structures as well as surfaces directly on a facet model</LI>

if you want it be quick because for a limited time (31st March) you can save youself $10,000 and get it for $4,999 inseatd of $14,999
smiley2.gif

[url]http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/forms/index.jsp?im_dbkey=2 5659&im_language=en&inl=y [/url]

want to share the model?
smiley17.gif

heheheh would be nice but i dont think anyone woudl want to give me 5k just so i can play with the model :)

i wonder how many people use that ?

is there a cheaper alternative? 3dmax(or is it viz now) ? i know some
people who use this software maybe i should chase them down.

We had some models scanned and converted into ProE. The data is imported via neutral file, so it is just "dumb" data. I believe the company that provided us the service can also convert to a parametric file. If you would like the company contact let me know.

Puppet, i do believe you can use 3DMax, Wavefront, TrueSpace or any other polygon based software.
They normally have good tools for polygon reduction and subdivision to smoothen models.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back