Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

how to work with home PC

balaji.g

hai friends iam balaji

i have intralink 3.3 software but i dont how to installing and working is it possible to install in to my home pc. actually intralink is through server only working for practice porpose is it possible to work with my home pc pls help me......

balaji

Hey balaji,

It is possible as it is possible to have the Pro/Intralink client work on the server. At our company, a Intralink client is installed on the server for administrative pruposes. I would not recommend that you install the Pro/Intralink dataserver on your CAD machine as now your computer must manage all of the database logic as well as run your CAD which can strip your memory. Install the Oracle database on your computer then the fileserver, dataserver, and then the client. You probably will also have to setup your license server on that machine too. It will work.

Hope this helps.

sir,

let me know the installation proceduresof intralink 3.3.( i installed the file server,then dataserver and then the client with locked license file without installing the flexlm licenese server).i have not having the problem in opening the dataserver with default login id.but when i try to open the intralink client with defaukt login id ,i am getting a message "failed to take or refresh license."

can you help me in this regard and is there any configuration settings to be performed.

Hey balaji,

Hmm. Well this is clearly a licensing issue then. So I have to ask a couple of questions. I do not mean to offend, I am asking these questions becuase I do not know your background concerning licenses and license servers.

1) Are you sure that this is a node-locked LOCAL license? Ensure that there is no SERVER or DAEMON lines in the upper-most part of the license file. If these lines do exist, you need to install a license server (flexlm).

2) If you answered yes to the above question, when you browse to and select the license file during installation, the dialog should tell you if you have valid licenses or not. Ensure that the installation says you have valid licenses. Also, make sure the PTC HostID (PTC_HOSTID) matches your machine HostID (found at the first screen of the installation). If not, contact your vendor.

3) Ensure you have an intralink client feature (name after INCERMENT in the license file) and make sure you know whether the license file is multi-site or single-site. I cannot tell you what feature name to look for in the license file exactly as each PTC vendor usually creates their own feature names. Mine is ILINK_CLIENT. Also, ensure that you select the correct site structure during installation (single or multi-site) as this might cause some trouble initially and later if the selection is not correct. If this knowledge is not known and/or you do not have the appropriate feature, contact your vendor.

From the steps described above, it APPEARS that you HAVE installed Intralink correctly on your system. The only material I have regarding the installation of Intralink 3.3 is the PTC documentation that came with the Intralink 3.3 installation CDs. If you have followed this, you should be fine.

If this is a bug with Intralink 3.3, I cannot check it right now as the PTC US support site is down for the weekend.

Hope this helps.

Hey balaji,

The PTC support site was back on-line and wouldn't you know it, there IS a bug for this issue with Intralink 3.3. This has been discussed on this forum in the past as the infamous "time-out" issue with Intralink 3.3 clients.

Please see if this article applies to you at this location:
<a href="http://www.ptc.com/go/timeout/intralink_refresh_license.htm" target="_blank">
http://www.ptc.com/go/timeout/intralink_refresh_license.htm</a>

On this site, there is a patch available. I knew this issue had existed before-hand but only thought it affects the PTC name service and not the licensing. I guess you learn something new everyday. For your own information, the TAN article is #128997 for those with active maintenance contracts. If you would like a copy of this TAN article, private message me and include your e-mail address. You should note that this TAN article, in summary, simply states to go to the above website.

Hope this helps.

SIR,

THIS IS AGIAN WITH INSTALLATION PROCEDURES FOR INTRALINK 3.3.

YOU HAVE ASKED SOME QUESTIONS REGRADING THE INSTALLATION.YES I HAVE INSTALLED WITH A NODE LOCKED LICENSE FILE AND ALSO THERE IS NO SERVER LINES IN THE LICENSE FILE.AND ALSO I VERIFIED THE PTC HOST ID AND THE LICENSE FILE CONTAINS THE INTRALINK CLIENT FEATURE(ILINK_CLIENT). AND I SELECTED THE CORRECT SITE STRUCTURE MULTI -SUITE.EVERY THING IS FINE AND THE CLIENT INSTALLATION IS COMPLETED.I CHECKED THE SERVICES FOR INTRALINK FILE SERVER("STARTED").THE ORACLE CLIENT SERVICES("STARTED").THE ORACLE TNS LISTENER("STARTED").I OPENED THE DATASERVER WITH DEFAULT LOGIN ID("INTRALINK").IT OPENED WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM.BUT WHEN I TRIED TO OPEN THE CLIENT ONLY I AM HAVING THE PROBLEM.

I ALSO TRIED TO REPLACE THE PATCH FILE WHICH YOU HAVE MENTIONED IN THE HYPERLINK .BUT STILL THERE IS PROBLEM IN OPENING THE ILINK CLIENT.

PLEASE HELP ME IN THIS REGARD.

WITH REGARDS,

BALAJI

Hey Balaji,

What operating system are you using? Alot of people have problems installing and using Intralink (dataserver and clients) on a non-supported operating system. Here is the platform support documentation for Intralink 3.3 from PTC:

[url]http://www.ptc.com/partners/hardware/current/prointralink33. pdf[/url]

Notice that only Windows 2000 Professional (not server) can run all both (client and dataserver). You MUST have Intralink 3.3 M022 for Windows XP Professional for run the client and dataserver. If you are trying to use an earlier datecode than M022 on Windows XP Professional SP2 you may have problems. From previous users I have been in contact with Intralink 3.3 will NOT work on Windows 2003 Server at all. At our company we have Pro/Intralink 3.4 on Windows 2003 Server R2 (with the client on the server) and Windows 2000 Professional clients and it works fine. The client on our server works fine too.

I am not saying that your operating system is the problem, but it is the only thing I can think of if the "time-out" patch above did not solve your problem. Besides this "time-out" issue, I can find no other bug in the PTC database concerning license issues with Intralink 3.3. This makes me suspect an OS problem.

Again, I will offer the Intralink 3.3 installation guide in PDF form, but this is the same documentation that comes with the Intralink 3.3. CDs. Private Message me if you want it.

Hope this helps.

sir,

This is reagarding the installation of intralink 3.3 software.

i tried the installation in windows xp service pack 2(installed the file server,dataserver and the client with node locked license file).

i want to know whether it will work in windows 2000 professional sp-4.

help me in this regard.

Hey balaji,

>i tried the installation in windows xp service pack 2(installed the file server,dataserver and the client with node locked license file).

Well, if you have Intralink 3.3 datecode M022 you SHOULD have no problem with the client. I personally cannot verify this statement as I only have experience with Intralink 3.3 on Windows 2000 Server. However, according to the link I provided (the Intralink 3.3 platform support PDF), this means that the Intralink 3.3 M022 CLIENT was developed and tested on this platform enough for PTC to support it. My experience with PTC software though shows me that even if it is listed as "supported" on a platform support list, regardless of it being ProE, ProM, Intralink...., you still may have unexplainable problems or it may work flawlessly (as possible). It is worthy to note, that neither the fileserver and dataserver are supported in Windows XP SP2, and you have seemed to got those two working.

>i want to know whether it will work in windows 2000 professional sp-4.

Well, again, I cannot say for sure that (I assume) downgrading your operating system to Windows 2000 SP4 will make your problem with the license go away. I would say if you are using Intralink 3.3 M022 it makes no difference (in terms of success rate) since both operating systems SHOULD support the client equally (per the platform support link provided above). If you are using an older build of Intralink 3.3 (not M022), then your build was not tested with Windows XP SP2, so if a problem did exist, PTC would not have known about it and won't provide a fix for it (or in most cases not even a bug report). Therefore, if you are using an older build, I WOULD recommend Windows 2000 Professional SP4. But there are no absolute guarantees with this. It is also worthy to note that when Intralink 3.3 was installed on our Windows 2000 Server platform, I still was able to use the client on the server even though it is listed as "unsupported".

Also, try to make sure that there are no spaces in the file path to your license file. (i.e. C:\licenses\ILINK\license.dat). PTC software SOMETIMES has a hard time with spaces in path names and may cuase errors. I still cannot believe this is not due to the "time-out" issue assocaited with Intralink 3.3.

Hope this helps.

Edited by: acook

sir,
this is regarding the installation of intralink 3.3 in win2000 professional sp4.sorry for raising questions very oftenly.
i have tried the installation , i installed the file server,dataserver and then client with node locked license file for multisuite option.
then i checked the services for "intralink file server" it is started,for data server "oracleilink"started ,oracle tns listener started.and when i started the client i facing the same problem"unable to take or refresh license".i tried the patch file also for timeout.
then i checked the file server from command promt " ping 7777 -t" first i got destination host unreachable..i checked the " ip config /all" it shows that network crad is disconnected" i want to know wether there is any configuration settings needed for file server or i want to connect my computer with another one so that i can "avoid media disconnected state"

Hey balaji,

Hmm. Well it sounds to me like your network card is having trouble keeping a connection. This sounds like an operating system/hardware conflict or problem to me. I only say this becuase I have never performed any sort of "configuration settings" with Intralink to get the fileserver or the dataserver to work.

This problem with your network card may be the cause of alot of these problems you are having. It used to be that the PTC Host ID (mine for example is 00-13-72-06-E1-8E) was generated from the MAC address of the primary network adapter on the node-locked system. I currently do not know what scheme they are using to license their software now as I am not as involved with licenses with PTC as I once was. I had seen a workstation once where the PTC Host ID was constantly changing due to troubles with the network card (as diagnosed by PTC). Ensure that the PTC Host ID that appears on the first screen of the Intralink installmatches the one found in your node-locked license(s). If not, the license cannto be checked out. You may also find your computer HostID by running ptchostid.bat typically found at <ProI client loadpoint>\bin.

In the past, PTC ProE required the network card to be activated (not disabled) for the license to be checked out even if it was a local node-locked license. I have found this true on ProE Wildfire 1.0. If you network card is disabling on its own I would recommend getting certified drivers for Windows 2000 SP4 or reinstalling your drivers. Also, ensure that your anti-virus and/or firewall software is not blocking port 7777 or a range of ports which contains port 7777. McAfee Antirus 8i sometimes blocks ports to limit virus and worm activity.

I cannot guarantee that any of these above "fixes" will work becuase this is a very strange problem. Again, I did not perform any special "configuration settings" to Intralink to allow a ping or connection to the data server.

This resource may be of some help as well, particularily the "What does Host ID mean?" section.
<a href="http://www.ptc.com/olm/ist1071/ist_faq.htm#6g" target="_blank">
http://www.ptc.com/olm/ist1071/ist_faq.htm#6g</a>

Hope this helps.

>>dear sir....

Posting from Triad Software Pvt Ltd promoting software piracy removed.

Edited by: Brian_Adkins

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back