Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

HOW TO SPECIFY AN ADVANCED ASSY. LICENSE ON STARTUP

JONGPC

We have a number of licenses on the network server but only a few have the Advanced Modeling Extension. I have to start WF1.0, 4 times to get a license with AAX, then close the 3 previous instances of WF1.0. This happens consistently.

I have changed the order of the licenses to use in PTCCONFIG, where you specify the license server and available licenses.

Is there a way to specify which license my machine grabs from the Pool on startup??

Thanks in advance!

JG

You have to run ptcsetup in your Wildflower loadpoint\bin directory and create a new Pro/E startup command. At some point in the procedure there is a place to bind extensions like AAX to the command. It is not intuitively obvious. I missed it the first time too and had the same problem. Sorry I can't be more specific but it has been several months since I fixed it.

Thanks for the reply.

There are more users than Pro-E licenses at work so I can't just set Pro to use 1 of the say 6 licenses. If that license is already in use Pro will not start. My problem is that 2 of the 6 licenses have AAX and the rest do not. I want to setup Pro such that it looks to use the licenses with AAX first, then uses whatever is available, like a priority list.

If none of the licenses are being used, my computer defaults to one of the 4 without AAX. I have to start 4 instances of PRO to get one of the licenses with AAX, then close the first 3 so they are available to others.

I should also add that I have played with the license order in PTCSETUP to get one with AAX to load first with no luck! I have inverted the order and shuffled to no avail.

You can specifiy another command at the setup, i.e. one for std Pro/E and one for Pro/ASSY and assign the relevant licenses to those commands. If you look in the bin directory after setup, you will see two batch files. You can also use the command:

d:\ptc\proe2001\bin\ptcsetup.bat -simplify proe

to specifiy startup extensions.

Hope this helps,

Phil

As dr_gallup said, use PTC setup to create an extra startup command. You can make as much as you like, in your case two. Name the first ProE_normal.bat and the second ProE_AAX.bat, allthough in the newest releases that .bat doesn't showup any more. Next assign the different licences to these commands.

After startup of the ProE_AAX command, and the two licenses are allready in use, you can check that by enlarging the message window.

It sounds strange to me that re-ordering the licenses doesn't work. Are you sure the shortcuts do point to the new startups? It does work fine here, allthough I setup the most systems here with different startup-commands.

Huug

Huug:

I did as you said and assigned different licenses to 2 different startup commands with these results:

AAX: when pointing to only the AAX license PRO started with AAX functionality.

Generic (configured with 2 licenses, 1-with AAX, 2-without AAX): PRO started with the NON-AAX license 10 out of 10 times.

Results: When forced to take a AAX license PRO will and works fine. When configured with an AAX and a non-AAX license PRO chooses the non-AAX license every time.

Thanks to all for your input. Any other ideas, fixes, work arounds to get PRO to choose an AAX license out of a pool of licenses would be greatly appreciated.

In the mean time I will work with the 2 configurations and run PTCSTATUS first to see if an AAX license is available.

JG

If you run out of AAX licenses Pro/E will still start if there is an available foundation license (even if it is not bound to the startup command) and just tell you that you didn't get the extension. No need to do a ptcstatus.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back