Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

how to show blade cuts in 2d

msmgf

hi, i have a cylindrical part with 45deg bevel on top. blade cut from the surface of the bevel to a certain depth. blade actually is rotated 45deg in X-Y (to align with bevel), Y-Z (45deg to top line of bevel) and Z-X planes(so cut is not perpendicular to bevel surface). I think I managed to draw this in .sldprt, but I am having trouble producing .slddrw and expressing how the cuts are made, showing all dimensions. Any help would be appreciated.

MSMGF ! If jimshaw has troubles to understand your problem (and he learn english from his parents) for me is much hard. But maybe I can help you.

I think that CUSTOM VIEW is the solution for you.
So, rotate, translate and so on your part until you have the best position. At this time create a CUSTOM VIEW (see SW help for CUSTOM VIEW - is easy to understand).

In the drawing use this view. How to insert the view depend from your SW version. Starting with '09 you can drag the view from the VIEW PALLET.

Now you have a view in your drawing where you can put all annotations you wish (dimensions, for exemple).

Hope this is a help for you.
Good luck !

Hi, thanks guys for your help. It's actually still very hard to see from pic, the part is small, cuts are even smaller, also there might be proprietary issues, so I didn't post images.
I'll try CUSTOM VIEW then.
Thanks!

msmgf,

I'd love to help, but this is the part that scares me: "I think I managed to draw this in .sldprt" If you don't even know if you modeled it correctly, it will be be even harder for us to tell you how to show it in a drawing!
smiley2.gif

Whenever I have trouble with creating the right view on a drawing I think of two things: 1 - How is somebody going to make this part? And 2 - How would I inspect this part? Those two questions should start to shed some light onwhich dimensions to show, and then ultimately how to create the view.

Lastly - I can sign an NDA, and then you can share geometry, andI guarantee we'll figure it out.

Jim
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back