Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to setup machining two parts out of the same workpiece?

kumaichi

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the correct direction here. I have a relatively small part and I'd like to use one peice of stock and machine multiple parts from it.

So, I fired up Pro/E and created a new Manufacturing model. I add my two reference models (same part twice). This seems to work fine except now I have a Component Placement dialog and I don't have a clue what to do in this dialog. I looked for this dialog in the help and couldn't really find any information on what I needed to do.

Here is the tricky part, in order to take advantage of using a peice of stock that will leave no waste (very little anyway) I need to spin one of the parts so they are kind of interlocking next to each other with enough space for a cutter of course.

Can anyone give me some pointers or places where I can find a tutorial or help documents?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Craig,

A picture speaks thousand words. CAn you please post something up. it's hard to visual what you're saying.

I have a question... you want to simulate the machining of the two part from a single stock, right? What kind of machining is it going to be? A CNC end-mill cutter or something else?

-Rishi

Hi Rishi,

Actually, I'd like to create a g-code sequence that will actually cut the peices on a 3 axis CNC mill.

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks,

Craig

Hi Craig,

I don't know why you're getting a component placement issue but you should be able to machine those two pieces with no problem.

Treat it as one part, i.e encompass you entire 1st mill volume around both parts to start and go from there.

I used to do this all the time that way.

Moroso,

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would be easier to create an assembly first and then try to use the assembly as the reference model?

The current problem I'm having is, I add the two parts and I need to rotate one of them so I can use as little material as possible but when the two parts are ont he screen it's almost like they are one and I can't operate on one of them.

Thanks again,

Craig

Craig,

You need to assemble the parts with a combination of mates and aligns (with offsets, too) in order to get these parts in the orientation you want. This is basic ProE assembly functionality, not something unique to Pro/NC. Is there anyone available who is familiar with ProE to guide you?

Once this is done, yes, you can create toolpaths to make multiple parts out of one piece of stock (the workpiece). It is a lot more involved than I think you realize. Then of course, what ProE will spit out is an APT file (the CL data). This file needs to be converted (post-processed) into the G-code specific to the machine on which you intend to make the parts. Some postprocessors that work with the bundled GPost application are available on the PTC site, and cover commonly used controls (Fanuc, etc), but each machine requires its own tweaking to get 'perfect' code.

Regards

I often cut multiple parts from a single piece of stock. I assemble one finished part and a workpiece that represents the full stock size. I do the machining operation on the single part then pattern the operation to suit the number of parts I want from the stock. Make your original assembly bearing in mind the type of pattern you will use (radial, cartesian, etc). The code file treats all the parts as one. In 2001 go to Machining> Utilities> Pattern then select Operation or NC sequence.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I guess I'll have to give them a try and see which one I can get to work.

Thanks again,

Craig

Just thought I'd give an update to show that the responses/help I got here really does benefit the inexperienced user like myself :).

After reading the posts here and many hours working in Pro/E, I finally got what I was after (picture below.)

Thanks again for everyones help with this, it's greatly appreciated,

Craig

View attachment 356

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back