Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to link two Part models.

salil

Hello All.

How to link two models if 2nd is the mirror of the 1st one but slightly different, both are having exactly similer feature except very few & those are additional to the common features.

now I want 1st one should play as the master & any changes in that should be reflected in the 2d one without affecting the additional features of the 2nd model.

Consider Multi- Layered steel Gaskets as an example.

Pleaseeeeeeeeee help me.

Salil.

You need to do some research on inheritance models. That is the answer. If you can't find anything, let me know and I'll email you a little something.

You may also looking into using a family table.

HAI SALIL,

U can create a copy command using dependent mirror option.

That will reflect the changes in the master and if u need any

additions u can also do on the slave.

with regards,

subramaniam.C.R.

HAI SALIL,

U can create a copy command using dependent mirror option.

That will reflect the changes in the master and if u need any

additions u can also do on the slave.

After creating the first model- Create a new file-

Feature>Create>Data Sharing>ExtCopyGeom>Open>select the required model

Then select Default/Coord Sys

Select Surface Refs from the table>Define. Select Solid Surfs from SURF OPTIONS. Then select the solid>Done>OK.

Now what we have is only surfaces in the second model. Now make it a solid using Use Quilt option from Protrusion.

Now whatever changes we make in the second model will not affect the master. If we make any changes in the master it has to be updated in the second model. If not Redefine Extern Copy Geom from the model tree and give OK. The changes will be updated in the second model.

Regards

Rajesh

family table is better option but if that doesn't solve your problem then u can also try making UDF library>subordinate>dependent of the features which you want to remain same in all parts.

because it is subordinate the GPH file will automatically updated whenever u make any change in the original part

The correct method is done in 1 of 2 ways. Create a merge and then modify it. Or the better method is the inheritance feature. Made specifically for this type of problem.

Family tables and UDF are not good solutions. They present a lot of problems in configuration control and data management. Particularly if you use Intralink, PDM , etc.

hi when u creart a model copy the model as a instance in family table.now if u make any change in parent child will change,and u can also add extra feature in the instance this is perfect solution if u have qurrey mail me ill give u example model

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back