Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to Extrude Cut Cursive Text?

prismshian

Hi there,

I'm using Solidworks 2007. I'm trying to extrude cut a cursive font into a flat surface but it doesn't allow me because the cursive text fonts are designed to overlap each other. Solidworks considers it as an intersecting error.

Any pros who know how to get around this and cut a perfect cursive font into a flat surface?

Sincere thanks!

p:s: With no spacing in between!! I can extend the fonts apart using spacing but this defeats the purpose of a cursive font. Its supposed to be connected:)
Edited by: prismshian

Put your text into a sketch and exit the sketch. Start a new sketch for each letter and convert the letters from the first sketch, doing a cut for each so the profiles do not overlap. You should end up with your cursive text cut through.

Good luck!

Hey Solidmonkey,

Thanks for that, it makes sense. But is there an easier way to get about it?

One problem with this is that the individual letters may not line up perfectly. I have to drag the sketch around for each letter by hand until it lines up.

What do you mean by 'convert the letters from the first sketch'. How do you do this? It would be nice if you could just select each alphabet and CONVERT ENTITY. but its not possible.

I was hoping there could be a more practical way, cause imagine if I wanted to engrave ' Happy Birthday Darling, You're the Most Amazing Person in the Whole Wide World, I Love You So Much!!'

I would have alot of work to do! LOL

Thanks so much

Primshian ! May I ask youif it is strongly necesaryto CUT the text ? If you wish to obtain (as example) an .dxf file to use on a cutting machine, you can use EXTRUDE BOSS feature and the result is the same.

Good luck !

Hi Mihail,

Erm, it still errors as 'the sketch has intersecting contours' even if you use extrude boss feature.

Cursive fonts overlap each other, my question is how to get Solidworks to extrude cut / boss anyway and override the intersecting error. Or any other way to get about it.

Hi Prismshian,

You could do one cut from the text if you right-click the text in the sketch and select 'convert to curves'. Then you can either: Exit the sketch, start a new sketch for each letter and ni that sketch right-click the original text sketch and select Chain. THis should bring all lines from that letter into the sketch, and you can extrude.

Or: after converting the original text to curves you can use the Trim tool to cut away overlapping lines. You can then extrude the whole word.

Best of luck!

SOLIDMONKEY!! YOU'RE MY HERO!! I LOVE YOU!! THANK YOU SO MUCH IT WORKED! IT WORKED!!!

For reference sakes, in SW 2007, its right click the text and use 'dissolve sketch', then use 'trim entities' - trim to closest to remove the intersecting lines.

THANKS SOLIDMONKEY!! YOU REALLY ARE A GREAT MONKEY!!

You're welcome!
smiley1.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back