Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to draw on a curved surface?

zikpol

Hi guys!!!I have one question about Inventor 8 Professional:

How can i draw something on a curved surface in Part modelling? For example if i have already designed a bottle (for instance...) how can i attach a handle to it? I hope you can understand what is exactly my problem!
So if you are so kind please answer to that question because this is a problem i have to deal with very often!
Thank you in advance!

Edited by: zikpol

zikpol said:
Hi guys!!!I have one question about Inventor 8 Professional:

How can i draw something on a curved surface in Part modelling? For example if i have already designed a bottle (for instance...) how can i attach a handle to it? I hope you can understand what is exactly my problem!
So if you are so kind please answer to that question because this is a problem i have to deal with very often!
Thank you in advance!

Hi,

You can do this on different ways....

First, use your origin planes to sketch a profile->RETURN and the use the RIB feature

Other way, sketch the same profile for you're handle->RETURN
Sketch you're second profile for handle->RETURN
Then use sweep feature

You can also do it on other ways but this should give you an idea on the possibilitys.

Regards

You did a great job "Cadesign"!!!
Thank you very much!!!
You see i have big problem generally with curved surfaces...!!!Do you have any idea if there is a link where i can download good tutorials for Inventor?

Thank you again!!!

Take care...!!!

zikpol said:
You did a great job "Cadesign"!!!
Thank you very much!!!
You see i have big problem generally with curved surfaces...!!!Do you have any idea if there is a link where i can download good tutorials for Inventor?

Thank you again!!!

Take care...!!!

On the site of Sean Dotson you can download a lot of tutorials for Inventor.

http://www.sdotson.com/

There is another way, if you create a parametric open sketch of the sidewall and (prob) revolve it as a surface.

Then create your sketch of the shape you want and extrude that into the model as a surface again.

Then use 3d sketch/Surface intersection, pick the two surfaces and hey presto you have sketch geometry on the shape you have. You can only use it for loft paths etc. but may be of use to you.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back