Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to create Pattern Table of components

scubadude

I've created an assembly and patterned a part. I need to delete a few of the parts that fall outside the design space. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to convert the standard pattern into a pattern table. If I do a 'redefine' (which is what I would do if it were a feature, not a component) it only lets me modify the first part in the pattern. There are no options to convert it.

I'm using Pro/2001.

Thanx

I honestly don't know squat about component patterns but reading Help I'd guess that the functions have been segregated because the table pattern allows use of different models while the dimensional pattern uses only same model.

If you are using Wildfire 2.0, right-click on the pattern & edit definition. You should then be able to change the format from dimension/direction to table.

Ah! So I can, at least, sometimes. I tried dinking around in an existing assy or two and could convert Direction Patterns to Table Patterns some of the time and the Table option wasn't active on Edit Def other times. Using WF2 without a clue. Sorry, don' have time to dig any more today.

Thanx, but none of this helps. I'm using v2001. It seems as though the functionality does not exist in this build. I know I've done it before (although I've never used any release past 2001). Maybe its hidden somewhere "obvious".

Thanx anyway.

How are the components patterned? With dim's or by reference.

When you say you want to "delete a few of the parts that fall outside the design space." Are you referring to components in middle of pattern?

Charles

The components are patterned by dim as shown below. In order to get the offset pattern (to optimize packing) I need to create the pattern with the two extra "X" parts. These parts fall outside the graytray andneed to be removed. I've created a drawing that 'looks' correct by using 'Hide'. Unfortunately the parts come back when I re-open the assembly.

View attachment 1201

One workaround would be to hide the parts & save the layer status (I don't know how to do that in v2001), then save the assembly.

One problem you will have is that for most pattern features, your initial component will be one of the 2 marked with 'X', but if you can change the pattern to a table, you can start with any position.

You don't really need a pattern table since you want to get rid of the first & last instances, not ones in the middle of the pattern. Now that you know the position of the parts that you want it should be simple to change the pattern to only have 6 instances.

dr_gallup,

You are correct in this instance, however, I have 8 similar assemblies with many more 'extra' parts where I cannot simply redo the pattern. This was just the simplest example I had.

Is it not possible to create a pattern table for components in v2001?

You can create a pattern table for components.
But I don't think you can convert regular dim pattern to a table pattern.

Charles

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back