Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to constrain? .mount between O-rings

NateHerse

The system I am trying to model is a 3" dia disk, aprox .050 thick. It is mounted between two plates each with .210 O-ring grooves. So the disk is being supported only by the O-rings on top and bottom, while the plates are fixed. I am then applying a central force and looking to analyze the deflection profile of the disk (dont care about o-rings).

I suppose I could model all the parts and utilize contact regions and let mechanica determine local deformation, but that is usally troublesome and extremely resource consuming/intensive.

So I would like to just model the disk, but I'm unsure as to the best way to contrain it. Any suggestions??

This may be the solution.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Model your o-rings as springs (try to model stiffness of the ring into spring definition)

This will also stabilize the analysis by mathematicallyremoving DOF

Or make it simple constrain the disk in the o-ring place assuming the following

- After the force is applied the o-ring will be fully compressed without any disc deflection

-Once o-ring fully compressed it will start to act as rigid support and the disc will start to deform which is your interest.This is as I said an approximation

pedja666 said:
Model your o-rings as springs (try to model stiffness of the ring into spring definition)

interesting, can you elaborate? I've never modeling anything as a spring?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back