Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

how to bend a component

kathy

Hi Gurus

How to bend or deform a component in the animation? It seems to me you cannot because you can only move or rotate the components without deforming it.

ANy suggestions? Thanks a lot!

kathy,

as far as i know, there is no way to bend a componentin the animation, but you can cheat a little.

what i've done in the pastis make family table instances of the various stages of deformation (usually around 5-10 instances is enough) of the component you want to deform, and assemble all of these instances to your assembly. you can then set up display styles in the view manager(which can later be applied to the animation) where you blank all of the instances except the one required for that frame.for 5 stages of deformation, you would have 5 display styles, one for each stage of deformation. when you apply these display stylesto the animation, it will appear as if the part is bending, when itis really just flickering through the displays. but to the naked eye, in the finished animation, you can't really tell, if you do it properly. the # of instances and deformations depends on how quickly or smoothly you want the deformation to appear. normally, this process is time consuming, so i tend to keep it simple.

hope this helps..

take care,

vdzwaag

vdzwaag

I am very grateful for your help! I set up the family table already. But I cannot find how to set up the display style. I tried "view manager", it seems not working.

Could you please show me more details about it?

Thanks a million!

Kathy

vdzwaag:

Now I set up several display styles in the view manager. How to apply these display stylesto the animation? I am having a difficult doing it.

Thanks a lot!

Kathy

Hi kathy. You can do what you need by "Display at time" function but If you are working with Wildfire 2.0 than you can use "Trensparency at time" function.This is little easier than Display at time but I have to say that I didnt create animation of your kind in Proe. It would be great if you will upload here some short animation just for show to me how did you done this "bending" by Display at time. I think you can do this by Transparency as well but in shorter time ..
By the way take a look here: [url]http://mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31269& amp;PN=7[/url]
Edited by: Miko

kathy,

basically, what Miko said, use the display at time function. it acts very similar to the key frames, just type in at what time you want the display to occur, and it'll show up in the animation timeline. you can click and drag it around the timeline, just like the animation key frames. you will probably want to put these display keyframes pretty close together to get the effect you want.

here'sa small sample of something i did a while ago, using this technique.

2006-08-09_100108_transfer.zip

enjoy,

vdzwaag

Hi vdzwaag and Miko

I tried it as you told and it works!
smiley17.gif

Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it!

Kathy

This is a short that I did recently. It will show the flickering of the display at times. I only used 5 instances and the deformation is large.

It shows the deform during the upset, not the punch operation (although I could have added that if I desired)

It has been truncated to fit in the 2MB limit on this server

2006-09-15_164530_Tool_study.zip

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back