Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Register Log in

How does UGS compare to SolidWorks ?

RMS1

New member
I am just wondering because soon my company will be getting this, and presently I am learning SolidWorks, its also harder to find college classes in UGS though.

Has anyone seen college classes in UGS?

How do you think it compares to SolidWorks -pros & cons?

I have heard that SolidWorks has a great translation ability for importing and exporting would you say this is true?

Thanks.
 

looslib

New member
What is it that you (your company) want to do with CAD?


What CAD system do your suppliers and vendors use?


Do you need integrated CAD/CAM/CAE?


For about 70% of typical CAD design work, any of the top 5 (UG/NX, CATIA, Pro/Engineer, SolideEdge, SolidWorks) programs can do the modeling and drafting.
 

ttraser

New member
I currently have 10 years UGS, 6 years Pro/E, 10 years SW, 1 year Catia.


Personally, I like SW. SW2008 is a very user friendly piece of software. From time to time, I have an opportunity to use the others and find what used to be easy to do, is now a bit more difficult.


They are all very good softwares. Look into purchase price, training, maintenance, ability to get qualified personel.





good luck.
 

RMS1

New member
ttraser said:
I currently have 10 years UGS, 6 years Pro/E, 10 years SW, 1 year Catia.


Personally, I like SW. SW2008 is a very user friendly piece of software. From time to time, I have an opportunity to use the others and find what used to be easy to do, is now a bit more difficult.


They are all very good softwares. Look into purchase price, training, maintenance, ability to get qualified personel.





good luck.
Yeah SW does seem user friendly! We will be getting UGS NX (one seat) for a special project, but it will be used also for anything we can think of.

But I agree on the training BIG TIME, for that reason I like SW!!!!!
 

RMS1

New member
looslib said:
For about 70% of typical CAD design work, any of the top 5 (UG/NX, CATIA, Pro/Engineer, SolideEdge, SolidWorks) programs can do the modeling and drafting.
We do a lot with AutoCAD and a basic nesting package also, the main system though is Catia V4 and soon we will have UGS NX.

We wan't to be able to handle point clouds though in a user friendly system......
 

sieagel

New member
I use UGS nx extensevly for modeling and manifacturing. I also use complementery softer as Rhino and Autocad, but only for things I can't do in UGS. I find it user frendly more then Solid works wich I used for several years. I don't like Solid works becouse its lack of surfice interface and manipulating with it.
 

RMS1

New member
sieagel said:
I use UGS nx extensevly for modeling and manifacturing. I also use complementery softer as Rhino and Autocad, but only for things I can't do in UGS. I find it user frendly more then Solid works wich I used for several years. I don't like Solid works becouse its lack of surfice interface and manipulating with it.
Well thats nice to know that UGS NX is user friendly! Price wise its more expensive that SolidWorks, how much more I am not sure but I think thats something to consider as well.
 

Vinnesh

New member
Hi there


The first question one has to ask when using a software is the CAd software (top 5 as mentioned earlier has associativity in the drawing mode. Meaning that if you create a sketch in the sketcher mode, before modeling, can these dimensions be associated to drawings. These dimensions are driven from the sketch and not via user input expressions (UG)or relations(NX). UGS unfortunately does not have this associativity. Proe does, If solid works does, then it obviously precedes UG.





Regards
 

camster

New member
Vinnesh,


You stated "Meaning that if you create a sketch in the sketcher mode, before modeling, can these dimensions be associated to drawings. These dimensions are driven from the sketch and not via user input expressions (UG)or relations(NX). UGS unfortunately does not have this associativity. Proe does, If solid works does, then it obviously precedes UG."


What do you mean UG does not have associativity to the drawing?


I can edit a sketch dimension from drafting in UG and update the CAD model.


It is bi-directional. There are some things that need to be set up first but it can be done and quite easily.


Regards
 

RMS1

New member
Vinnesh said:
Hi there


The first question one has to ask when using a software is the CAd software (top 5 as mentioned earlier has associativity in the drawing mode. Meaning that if you create a sketch in the sketcher mode, before modeling, can these dimensions be associated to drawings. These dimensions are driven from the sketch and not via user input expressions (UG)or relations(NX). UGS unfortunately does not have this associativity. Proe does, If solid works does, then it obviously precedes UG.





Regards
Well UGS NX, Proe, and Catia, are at a level above solid works are they not? Again one has to weigh in the cost of the software.

I am by no means an expert with high end CAD parametric software, and I am not exactly sure what you mean above.
 

design-engine

New member
SW has a unique team that invests quite a bit in translations. They realize that in order to sell a manufacturer that uses another CAD package that the manufacturer will need to translate all the legacy data. Big money and a challenge before the check gets written.
 

RMS1

New member
design-engine said:
SW has a unique team that invests quite a bit in translations. They realize that in order to sell a manufacturer that uses another CAD package that the manufacturer will need to translate all the legacy data. Big money and a challenge before the check gets written.
Yeah it seems like it!

SW is a pretty neat program all in all, soon my company is getting UGS NX so I am really looking to see how they compare. I find though that if I had to do a lot of 2D work I would still use AutoCAD but for 3D I am liking SW better.
 

swcalvert

New member
I think you're better off getting SW (this comes from a long time UG user). I picked up SW in a few minutes, it's that easy. Also, when something fails you don't have to know the model. SW is easy to make changes to because it works like you mind works, meaning if you understand how things work in the 3D world and you can figure out what features use what features (parent/child relationship) it is easy to understand.


Cost, check out the cost


Steve
 

RMS1

New member
swcalvert said:
I think you're better off getting SW (this comes from a long time UG user). I picked up SW in a few minutes, it's that easy. Also, when something fails you don't have to know the model. SW is easy to make changes to because it works like you mind works, meaning if you understand how things work in the 3D world and you can figure out what features use what features (parent/child relationship) it is easy to understand.


Cost, check out the cost


Steve
That is interesting, where you using NX what version? My company did not get NX yet but very soon I would say in a month.

I agree though that SW is easy to learn and the price is nice.
 

swcalvert

New member
I'm still using V18 of UG. We cut back on licenses a few years back when some bozo in management wanted to change to Pro/E. His words were, "We're not going to make it as a company unless we switch to Pro", well a few years and almost a million dolars later, we have thirteen drawing to show for it. AND OUR COMPANY IS STILL HERE, he's not
. Sorry, needed to vent there...


Don't get me wrong, I love how UG works. You don't have to sketch everything, it's feature based not sketch based.


Steve
 

LABRT

New member
I guess the first thing to ask is : what are you looking for? your industry?


SW and UGS are both great CAD packages. SW is great for product design, very easy to useand tofind resources. UG is best for more complex products; it'sescalable, powerful software that has great tools for CAM. if your product line does not require very complex surfacing, I guess SW would be a best fit. If you design more complex products and are looking for an integrated CAM, then UG is a better fit. Besides the functionalities, there is a price difference and training needs that you need to take into consideration. good luck
 

RMS1

New member
LABRT said:
I guess the first thing to ask is : what are you looking for? your industry?


SW and UGS are both great CAD packages. SW is great for product design, very easy to useand tofind resources. UG is best for more complex products; it'sescalable, powerful software that has great tools for CAM. if your product line does not require very complex surfacing, I guess SW would be a best fit. If you design more complex products and are looking for an integrated CAM, then UG is a better fit. Besides the functionalities, there is a price difference and training needs that you need to take into consideration. good luck
Yeah, I need to emphasize the training aspect to my company, they think they can just through complex CAD packages at you and then wonder why productivity drops.



The CAM side of UGS must be extra $$ right? If so it must have its own name, whats that called? I think SW has Solid CAM but Lots of people use Master CAM with good results. But I don't really know much about the CAM side of the house.
 

RMS1

New member
swcalvert said:
I'm still using V18 of UG. We cut back on licenses a few years back when some bozo in management wanted to change to Pro/E. His words were, "We're not going to make it as a company unless we switch to Pro", well a few years and almost a million dolars later, we have thirteen drawing to show for it. AND OUR COMPANY IS STILL HERE, he's not
. Sorry, needed to vent there...


Don't get me wrong, I love how UG works. You don't have to sketch everything, it's feature based not sketch based.


Steve
So are there still Pro E seats there? What are the 13 drawings of?? WOW not good!

I think the last two UGS NX versions are really powerful from what I have heard, I will let you know!
 

LABRT

New member
RMS1 said:
LABRT said:
I guess the first thing to ask is : what are you looking for? your industry?


SW and UGS are both great CAD packages. SW is great for product design, very easy to useand tofind resources. UG is best for more complex products; it'sescalable, powerful software that has great tools for CAM. if your product line does not require very complex surfacing, I guess SW would be a best fit. If you design more complex products and are looking for an integrated CAM, then UG is a better fit. Besides the functionalities, there is a price difference and training needs that you need to take into consideration. good luck

Yeah, I need to emphasize the training aspect to my company, they think they can just through complex CAD packages at you and then wonder why productivity drops.




The CAM side of UGS must be extra $$ right? If so it must have its own name, whats that called? I think SW has Solid CAM but Lots of people use Master CAM with good results. But I don't really know much about the CAM side of the house.
 

Sponsor

Sponsor

X
Top