Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How do i make this feature???

gcook

Does anyone know how to make this geometry and what feature or features to use. Keep in mind that the inside is similar to the outside if this feature (its a flexible pc) i currently create it using very generic shapes to represent it on my design models. Also keep in mind that i do not use surface features that often, so be specific in response if you can. Thanks in advance! (see included graphic file for example).

http://www.proecentral.com/uploads/images/flex.jpg

View attachment 108

to 'dougr', thanks for your reply. I read your input, but it gets more complicated than that. What if i want to detail the bumps (accordian-like) through-out a bent trajectory? What shape would i sweep and what about the trajectory? The problem i have is not just sweeping along a rectangular path with the bump shape that is in a straight line, but also following a bend path as well. Sometimes the design goes straight for couple of inches, then curves with a radius then goes straight and then goes into another curve....etc. Similar to bent round pipe except rectangular. I've tried to accomplish this but it gets crazy with dimensions on the sketcher, and doesn't appear very uniform. I guess i'm looking for a way to create a few bumps and pattern them along a trajectory, not sure if this can even be done?

Here's a suggestion: Create the first corrugation, then pattern it in one direction, then deform it using a spinal bend.

My attempt:

View attachment 354

Probably not worth the regen time, but do-able

Hey 'bem', you are DA' MAN! that worked out exactly what i wanted. It was bothering me to no end how i could construct this acurately, and your response helped out alot, thanks!

The regen time is a little bit lacking, but not too bad, as long as i don't have alot of these pieces in my assemblies. Its worth it though to have pcs that represent themselves.

Thanks again -g.cook

gcook - You're welcome I'm glad I could help out.

others - as requested the files (2001 & wildfire) are attached

cheers ! :)

Hi. You can also make this as a sweep. It takes a while to sketch but it generates quickly. I'm not sure how make it bend though.

Take care. Paperclip.

A better way to get more control over your sweep and trajectory is to use a graph feature and trajpar. That way you could control the ends. I made a similar part once at Polaris in the mid 90's except one end had to attach to a round exit duct and the other end had to attach to a rectangular air box. To make the model more interesting it had the accordion section in the middle so the hose could be bent in the middle and assembled at the end of the assembly line. The only problem was the hose did not fit into the cavity under the seat. (which is why you needed the compartment in the first place. With a trajpar variable and the use of graphs you can get the maximum control over the sweep functions.

Bart Brejcha http://www.preotools.com

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back