Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How can I create a Reamed hole to a depth

Rajmaan

Could anyone please tell me why the default option in the clearence hole always is thru all. Why is it not possible to drill a standard hole - clearence hole to a variable depth.

The reason why I need this option is because i want to show the 118 degrees drill tip at the bottom of the hole, which only seams possible with the thread hole.

I don't want a thread hole but a ream hole to put a dowel in at a depth.

The only way I can achieve this is by sketching which is abit long winded for a simple hole.

Can anyone please advise.

I know in Wildfire you can do it, just change (on the dashboard) the depth. I'm sure this can be done in earlier versions.

Steve C

Not sure what the problem is but here are some options.

Uncheck the Add Thread surface box in the Tapped hole area. The picture still shows where the threads WOULD be but doesnt create it. (2001)

Create a sketched hole instead of using the Standard Hole options. This affords you 100% control over the size and shape of your feature.

Uncheck the Add Thread surface box in the Tapped hole area.

THIS OPTION WOULD BE OK IF I WANTED A TAPPED HOLE WHICH I DON'T REQUIRE.

I WANT A CLEARENCE HOLE AT A VARIABLE DEPTH SHOWNING THE 118 DEGREE DRILL TIP.

SKETCHING THE HOLE USING THE STANDARD HOLE OPTION IS THE METHOD I AM USING BUT SEEMS LONG WINDED.

Please advise.

IF ITS POSSIBLE IN WILDFIRE IT MUST BE POSSIBLE IN 2001

Sounds like sketching a cut is the way to go in 2001. With the HOLE option, you can change the variables of the countersinks. Does this help?

Once you transfer your model into the drawing, you can also specify this angle with Insert>Dimension>New References then pick on the item you wish to show dimensions on - then add a note if you wish, about the drill size.

>> IF ITS POSSIBLE IN WILDFIRE IT MUST BE POSSIBLE IN 2001

This is absolutely, categorically untrue.

In 2001, you could not change any of the dimensions with a Standard Hole. In Wildfire, you can.

But, it very much sounds like what you need to use in 2001 is a Sketched Hole, like kvision said. It's creating a hole, but with a profile similar to a revolved cut.

Ok thanks for response, sketched hole it is for now.

We will be moving over to Wildfire soon can't wait from the course i've just been to it looks good.

>> In 2001, you could not change any of the dimensions with a Standard Hole. In Wildfire, you can.

Actually, you can change the diameter of a standard hole in 2001 by setting your config.pro option HOLE_DIAMETER_OVERRIDE to YES. The other dimensions can also be modified (depth, c-bore, etc.).

To simplify your life. Create a general hole like you want and then create it as a UDF. The next time you need it just place it. This is really what the standard hole function does anyway.

You may also edit the .hol file that defines the standard holes. This is cumbersome and fickle but can be useful when completed.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back