Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

help with patterned subtract materials

aykevin

3522891753_98512f569e_o.jpg
</A>"

hi all,

i'm new to this site, was wondering if anyone can help me, i am trying to model a tyre for my coursework, one of the criteria is to include a pattern, i revolved the tyre to the above shape, then i drew out the groove on a datum plane and projected it onto the surface of the tyre, but i'm having trouble patterning and subtracting materials from it, if any expect can help, that would be appricated.

thanks

That is because you should extrude the cut into the tire as a cut and then do an axis pattern. If the bottom needs to be curved try offsetting a surface and then extruding the cut to that surface. You should not be using boolean subtraction for this: it is counter productive.

oh, thanks.. would axis pattern come under the same "pattern" button? because i was thinking of using axis pattern but couldn't find it.

correct. Axis pattern is located in the pattern feature. Look under the dropdown menu to the left..

//Tobias

I agree whit craftsman. Toroidal is the way to go for making a tire. If you use Toroidal , then your "cuts" (tire pattern) will have it

Cool insight Tobias - I have not really used the toroidal bend too much - I have to try that one!

Thanks,

D!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back