Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Help With Grease Groove

maesoph

Dear All:

I need help making a figure 8 grease groove on the inner diameter of a bushing. Basically, If I took a piece of paper or sketch plane, drew a figure 8 on it and then rolled the paper or sketch plane into a surface, that would be it. It's similar to a cosmetic groove, but that's not quite it since it needs to have depth.

I am attempting to assimulate what you have asked. Sheetmetal, create feature wall, protrude the wall, wrap an 8 around it using a datum curve. Flat pattern? Does this help?

Second option: Feature, create, surface, extruded. Extrude the surface. Feature, create, datum curve, normal to surface. Feature, create, tweak, flatten surface. Flatten the surface. This option is backwards, but will get you your dimensions.

I am running Wildfire 1.0 and I don't see the Feature-create-tweak command, but other than that, I think you are closer than anyone else that has tried to help. This one stumped our friends from India. Once the shape is flattened out, the problem is simple; but I haven't been able to do that yet. Thanks for trying.

Try making a formed Curve on the inside, the sketch would look like this, if you want just a cosmetic... The overall length will be a relation of the ID*Pi thats the circumference. Similar to the previous post. A sweep will fail because it overlaps, but I believe if you treat them as two halves you can do a sweep...

View attachment 401

slashct:

I got it figured out and mine looks about like yours. I used a combination sin*cos similar to what hack suggested and it looks similar to your. Go ahead and post the file - I am new at this and will likely learn something.

Just like creating a spring, but instead of creating a solid, you are creating a cut on a cylinder surface; of course the pitch is the height of your cylinder. You create a left handed cut and then a right handed cut, or variable sweep.

Right1?

I uploaded the file back on the 28th or 29th, how long until it shows up in the file area? Here it is for anyone looking for it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back