Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Help....Need to have same part number but different profile.

cem385

Extra credit question of the day.

I have two cable assemblies that I'm purchasing from a vendor. Both parts are routed in a wall. One goes to the right and one to the left. Being bent differently but still the same part. How would I model that to show up on a parts list as a qty of 2 for the same part number?

Chad

If you using Pro/Cabling then it should be no problem. If not, and using Wildfire use make flexible to solve your problem.

Israr

Ah, yes we do have Pro/cabling in our Flex seat of Pro. Anybody have a crash course in Cabling? I'm going to have to search for a web cast or cliff note version of Cabling.

Thank,

Chad

If all values in your BOM table are the same for those two parts, then they will automatically be combined in the repeat region as long as you have 'no duplicates' set.

However, when combining them this way, you won't be able to show an automatic BOM balloon for them.

Reference this information from PTC:

http://www.ptc.com/cs/tpi/112355.htm

-Brian

The parts cannot be modeled as the same part. Right now the part name is 12345-123left and 12345-123right. Same part number from vendor because the cables are the same length. When in the assembly I have to show them as left and right and the same part number with the qty of 2.

I could model them as one part but the qty would only be 1.

I need to try make flex. I do know that make flex didn't work well in other assemblies. It worked great until the make flex changed the physical size of the part. Therefor changing its mass and weight. Then it shows up as two parts on the parts list for the drw. I'm thinking it would work fine because I only need to change direction no physical size.

>>12345-123left and 12345-123right

That's how we do it... we just have to live with the trade-off I mentioned above.

It's nearly impossible to get multiple iroutings of complex routed components to work using 'flexible components'. Those work great if you just need to vary a few dimensions, but if you need to radically change the actual routing, you are probably better off using two separate part models and letting Pro/E combine them in the BOM so that the qty shows '2'.

-Brian

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back