Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Help exporting for a waterjet cutter

william_n

Hello,

I'm William. I am making a small 50cc pocket bike. I am currently designing the triple clamps. What is the best way to export to a dxf file without it being an engineering drawing. Just 2D.

Cheers,
Will

Make the drawing as you need then:

File -> Save as

And choose .dxf format.

Check "Remove bend lines" checkbox.

Be very carefull at sheet format scale and at drawing scale. Both must be 1:1

Good luck !

William !

I see in your picture that you are in the sketch mode.

From the begening to heare your steps are:

1) You start a NEW PART

2) You choose a plane and make the sketch

Continue with:

3) Exit sketch

4) Select the sketch (in the tree manager) then INSERT -> FEATURE -> EXTRUDE BOSS BASE. Set the thickness for this feature what you wish. It is not important.

5) Click OK. Now you have a PART.

6) Save

7) Make a drawing for this part. For what you wish the sheet format is not important.

8) Set the sheet scale at 1:1 (right click in an empty area of the sheet, choose EDIT SHEET FORMAT and make the settings). Right click again in the sheet and chooseEDIT SHEET to return at your drawing.

9) Save the drawing in SW format ( .slddrw ) for a future use. Be sure that the scale for your drawing is 1:1 (same as the sheet scale)

10) NOW, Save as... (see my first post)

Maybe the easy way to perform your task is:

Start with NEW DRAWING, make the sketch IN THE SHEET and perform steps 8 to 10

But it is not the best way, because you do not use the power of SW. You work like in Autocad.

If you understand HOW TO, ok. Good luck !

If not, email me at [email protected] and I send you a little movie.Also you can send me your file.

William,

I use featurecam for all of my water jet drawings. It is easy to draw in and exports DXF directly. Just a thought since solid works is a rather robust program for simple 2d cuts. Good luck

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back