Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Helical Sweep for rifling

bmt9554

I am doing a project for school, and I've decided to do my rifle. I have tried to do the rifling with Helical Sweep: cut, but it does not remove any depth. Just a line. I,ve also tried thin cut, and I get an error "Feature aborted: cannot create thin geometry." I think I'm doing everything right, It is either the section, or the thickness, but trial and error is not working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sound like you are doing everything the right way. How many cut grooves did you create for the rifling? Since the cuts are so so small zoom-up real close. It's my believe that you have at least six rifling grooves, so make sure all your line are connected (in sketcher). Hope this helps.

AS

When you first start the helical cut feature, under attributes Select "Norm to Traj" instead of the default Thru Axis. I tried this and it gave me much better results for the large pitch vs diameter that you're after.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I did get ti to work finally. I was doing too things wrong. First pitch in Pro/E is in inches per revolution, not revolutions per inch, which I though it was. Second, the sketch of the cut was too small, and had to make it longer so it would remove the material.

Now I have another problem. The cut has a glitch in it, when it made the cut, it left material out side past the barrel.
View attachment 505

View attachment 506

I try to make an extrusion to remove it, but it will not work. I don't know what to do.

hi

sorry i cannot give any solution to ur problem as such

but thin being i happened 2 have a doubt seeing ur discussion

how to check whether the pitch value what we give is in inches/revolution or revolutions /inch also is it possible to change it.

Thanks jacer, I didn't even think of using a datum curve and a variable section sweep. My Proffessor keept pushing helical sweeps not section sweeps. Worked like a charm.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back