Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Gray screen of death

msexton

Pro/E 2001

Datecode 2003010

ILink 3.2

Datecode 2002270 mulitsite mode

Dell 670 Percision

4GB Ram

Nvidia Quadra FX 1400

Driver 6.14.10.6720

I have a user that gets a gray screen at least once a day, usually more. Usuall

while routing piping. With as little as 4 windows open in Pro/E and with no more

that 300 parts in his working assembly.

We've went through the graphis setting in config.pro, trying most of them.

Replaced the motherboard, power supply and graphics card. Have tried most of the

drivers from Nvidia.

I am at a complete loss, and our IT department is no help at all. We have 6

users using the exact same machines and drivers, everyone is using the same

build and set-up of Pro/E and ILink. No one else seems to be having the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Sometimes a user have "unhealty" models or is working in a not good way. The problem can be in a single stupid part witch not is made in a good way.

Perhaps it could be RAM error. Try to change the RAM.

Try to change machine with another user, and see if the problem be on the same machine or user.

I had a similar problem with Intralink causing Blue screen of Death on a Dell precision 670.

Tried most things Dell replaced motherboard etc. Finally I got on the Dell site and downloaded all the latest drivers including the bios.

The drivers updated the bios from version 3 to 6, three weeks later and no blue screen.

Hope this helps.

Edited by: sarahfordgsi

What OS and service Pack are you running? that makes a difference too. There is an issue with some of the service packs and that Graphics card.

I know this sounds stupid... Sometimes the Einstein Office assistant when turned on causes problems, such as locking up and if he has an office application open and something causes him to come up, like help it will lock things up, as well as the opengl screen saver..

msexton

Suggestion go to http://www.proesite.com/index.htmldownload benchmark, run it on all machines, compare results with troubleshooting machine and you will know what is causing problem (benchmark show results for CPU, graphic card, and disk).
If on troubleshooting machine CPU result is to big compeering to other machines then problem lies in CPU (in your case I would assume CPU is trouble maker).

We have similar problem (no gray screen tough), on two the same machines one was 100% slower then other, we try to switch memory, graphics, PS, motherboard, no improvements, then we try with CPU and CPU was troubleshooter (Intel).
Also monitor CPU heating (this may also cause problems).

my screen does this as well when i get to many windows open or have been working with pro for to long a session.

i have to restart my machine or will happen faster the next.\

i think this is a graphics issue and in my case it's not when i do one thingit just sorta happens.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back