Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

google+

I joined G+ when it was still invite only, but there was no one "interesting" there. I looked for PTC, for Design Engine, for Pixar or Lightwave but I then understood that G+ does not work that way. I still prefer Twitter for folowing brands and people I'm interested into, and Facebook for everything "silly" ;D G+ to me is too much an effort with no real plus

Paolo

Google plus has got the momentum i believe ;)

facebook%2Bvs%2Bgoogle%2Bplus%2B%252B%2Banimated%2Bgif-18.gif

Edited by: solidworm

G+ could be useful at times, the hang out feature could be used for doing projects with remote coworkers, completing documents together, or desktop sharing to demo how to do sth interactively. (checkout hangout with extras)

@ Srini -
That's the beauty of the circles feature. You can have personal ones and professional ones that are completely independent from each other.
Edited by: Atropos89

not tried GOOGLE+ but GoogleDocs isnt good enough for
professional use, especially in engineering

Spreadsheet needs a major catchup - graphs are
crap, formula bugs, OpenOffice is as bad. Neither of
these are good enough for engineering work.
Document is sloppy - formatting doesnt stick,
sick and tired of redoing layouts
Not convinced about security either I've had
unknown peoples docs shared with me
hyperlinks to other GoogleDocs eg JPEGs dont
stick when the document goes outside GoogleDocs.

Thought I might be able to use Word/Excel 2010
with Google Cloud Connect but that's pretty dicky
as well. Renaming files causes major confusion.

For sure its the future and Googles approach is nice and
simple - but GOOGLE stands for buggy software.

Office365 is actually the better option currently.

Edited by: moriarty

Atropos89 said:
That's the beauty of the circles feature. You can have personal ones and professional ones that are completely independent from each other.

Yes, but what's the point in having a circle for friends, a circle for coworkers, a circle for people you follow for work reason, a circle for companies you like to read about when none of your friends, coworkers, people you'd like to follow and companies are on G+?

That was the way thing worked up to a couple of months ago, I blame Google for letting out invites to "selected" users that were mainly part of the IT industry and e-marketing/social marketing people, these invites spreaded like a virus (social marketing guys invited other marketing guy of course, because it was so cool and so "2.0") until a point I could find anyone on G+ that was not a nerd/technical writer/social marketing wore.

Plus, the "circle" idea itself is implemented in a very silly way, it's a pain to see who is in your circles when they have more or less all the same icons, and pictures are so small... how about a good old LIST, that's something that was invented for that use :D

Paolo

Atropos89 said:
@ Sirini - That's the beauty of the
circles feature. You can have personal ones and
professional ones that are completely independent from
each other.
True. I have created circles. I am
a bit skeptical especially after I started receiving
barrage of spam mails from "Facebook" posing as different acquaintances of mine and luring me to try different
utilities there in. Each trying their best to steal my ID.
A case of Once smitten Twice Shy.

Yeah, there is identity theft. I think it's always better to be safe than sorry.It really comes down to a cost/benefit ratio. For some people, networking of that sort is important. For others, less so.

Well, I am not really that moved to join the google+ bandwagon yet as I am not sure I would like to mix some level of professional work with a social networking site. I mean, yes they are two separate entities but your account would be tied to google's extended services like the mail box and docs.

Though I like its idea of closing certain posts on specific circles who can view it alone.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back