Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

G2 surface problem (ISDX)

Beone

Hi guys,

Im working on part of bicycle in school and have some problems with Style tool (ISDX) to achieve G2 continuity (totaly smooth surface). Probably I didnt choose right surface segments. You can see it on the pictures. Everything is smooth but when I close those two ,,holes,, then it looks bad (surface areas in red cyrcles). How can I make this complex surface? Can anybody help? ThanksView attachment 4508View attachment 4509View attachment 4510

HiBeone

Could you please put the prt file here, to evaluate some different options, or you can send me the file as a private message.

Regards

Pablo Ulloa

hello beone

since it is hard to deal with this case without model, and I do not have time to make it right now, I will use your pics to guide you with my idea

so first I would make following boundary blend

then, I would create a curve on this quilt and trim it, in the end special blue curve should be created for next blend

now with this boundries You can create two last patches to finish this part of model

since I ahven`t tried this, I am not aware how it is close to your demand and how it is(if at all) accurate to handle G2 transitions. Tangent should pass but G2 gonna be hard to obtain

hope this help

Hi muadib3d_2,

thanks for your help, its working for tangent (G1) surface, not for G2 :( But Im able to finish my part with no extreme deffect.
smiley2.gif

I am happy it helps You, btw, we can dirnk a bear and discuss such topic while my next visit in Slovakia in High Tatras next year. We can manage this in Zelone Pleso or chata Terecho, but not in Slasky Dom. Too expensive and too comfortable as for mountain trip
smiley36.gif

considering G2 problem,well, I am not so deep in this A class surfacing:))))

uff, I can again breathe air with mcad central taste as muadib3d

sh*t, there was a moment I doubted I would write here something again, but it has happened to be not true, gloria, gloria, etc :)))))

Bart, you can make this training again while my visit in High Tatra, cause you are invited:)))))

I looked up the High Tatra and I will be near there for Christmas if all goes well for me. My daugher lives in Prague and Slovakia is only a neighbor. I expect beer! ;)

Edited by: design-engine

closer for me than to USA this time, however it is still some distance to take.

But, maybe I should consider taking a trip to Praha for Sylwester night with my wife. It would be good reason to convince her, and then we could take this beer:)))

I plan my trip to High Tatras in Slovakia next year in the end of September the same as I did this year. I think it is the best moment to make such a trip - good weather, less turists on the path, less problems with a place for sleep in the evening.

muadib3d as I can see you are from Poland.. my brother ;). I love High Tatras so much. Its a pity that almost whole trees where destroyed in that storm few years ago. :( I will be in ,,Slovak paradise,,(Slovensky Raj) in those beautifull woods for Silvester. ;)

design-engine: waw so you work for cannondale? So for you is super easy to make parts like that? Its hard for me to learn it. In school they have shown us some primitive basics about surfacing but I want to know far more. I had also downloaded lots of tutorials from web, but it was easy to make parts in those tutorials, they are simply. This is far more difficult.

ok, I think we can afford each other for a little rant here, so that was my first time in High Tatras by Slovakia side. It was just fun and good time. The trip organised my collegue, by the time we were there we met two nice girls from also Poland, which "assemble" our team till the end of this journey:))))

back to the thema

I`ve noticed tutorilas for another software could also be usefull, specialy those which handle with surfaces better than Pro\E. So, I do not mean 3DS, but Rhinoceros or Alias in exemple, because they also handle geometry with curves

here some basic and intresting tricks can be found

http://www.alias.com/eng/support/studiotools/documentation/O ther/Tutorials.html

I just like surfacing and I'm board with other stuff. plus I am the school is known for surfacing for industrial design and that usually takes lots of surfacing.

You have beautiful girls ;) we also haha. Slavic girls rules. No offence to others...

I was thinking about Rhinoceros. But I like when I can make some areas exact with dimensions. Rhinoceros looks like 3Ds . But I also read that Rhinoceros was used to design complex carbon frame designs for Kestrel (bicycle frame company).
Maybe I will try it in Catia. We had basic Catia training for some months on university. Surface modeling was easier than in Proe in my opinion. What do you think?

Edited by: Beone

only try catia if your faverite company uses it and you want to get a job there. It may be hard to beat the chicago girls. I like Atlanta girls. Maybe this christmas I will find out about the prauge-ise girls. Slavic girls next summer. My ex-wife studied slavic literature at UofC. Guess that does not count.

Im still student on Technical university, and Im not focused on some job in any exact company or so. I just do it for my fun and to improve myself. And I love carbon bicycle frames ;) So you dont recomend Catia?

Not to many companies use CATIA in the states. I could not name ten companies...

Im thinking of ... if I were a fresh college grad ... I would focus on whats going to get me a job. Pro/E jobs pay the best. SW employeers tend to be cheap since they were sold on the fact sw is cheaper. Autocad is not worth mentioning. Inventer is gay unless they try to integrate Alias Studio... My sources tell me that Autodesk has not thought of that yet. I feel sorry for Rand.I guess the SW CATIA and COSMOS trio does ok tho.

CATIA companies
IBM < do they count?
Boeing
Fiat

There is another... They make Truck Cabs in Catia in Wisconson. One of my past students works there in Catia. Cant remember the comapany name. Ok... got it... http://www.oshkoshtruck.com/ < bad ass trucks too. I think their competiton in Dallas uses Pro/E for everything except the CABs where they do use Catia... a friend of mine is an engineering manager there. ITThttp://www.ittsystems.com

I did a search for Catia jobs on google and got the Catia job network or http://www.catjn.com and http://www.catiaworld.com/ and http://www.aviationjobsearch.com

Pro/ENGINEER is by far the top dog in the States even with the Euro doing so well.
Edited by: design-engine

in Europe, when You consider working in car industry Catia should be on the 1 st place of your course list. Just from curiosity I check from time to time job offers here in Poland. Most of them are Catia related, and taking place in germany in some car industry supplier.

I started in truck company - ABS, EBS, breaking stuff. Pro\E involved. I remmeber it as ggod times. No complex surfacing, but I bited Pro\E in details, specialy assembly and drawing stuff. Main customer was Daimler - Chrysler. It was known they push to switch to Catia to solve data exchange problem

I noticed lately some activity in Unigraphic field. I suppose, there is generaly some "good time" in car industry and good enginners are desired. However, from the place I am sitting, Pro\E jobs offers are in minority.

For me that sounds not good. I want to develop, still. Maybe I should consider job in USA:)))

Guys thanks for info. ProE is still my favorite. I was just wondering if there is any better way for exact engineering with complex surface modeling. Guys thanks for info.
smiley2.gif

I like to learn about those other tools from time to time too. Unigraphics aproched us 10 years ago to teach that but I never gave it a thought till now. We just got a call from Butler who has 50+ openings for Caterpillar jobs. We don't even have one student available for them. Pro/E is in big demand here. I wish we had some students for them but they all got jobs.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back