Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

From Mentor Graphics Boardstation to Pro

AdrianHomutescu

Hello, can anyone tell me what must I do to properly export a file from Mentor Graphics Boardstation and then properly import it to Pro/Engineer Wildfire? Thanks, Adrian.

Hi Adrian

Does Mentor Graphics export IDF files (*.EMN & *.EMP files) If it does, then you can import these in to WF. I regularly import IDF files created from Cadence with excellent results. If you need any help on importing these files don't hesitate tosend me a PM.

Red Devil

I've imported many files from Mentor into Pro/e Wildfire & Proe 2001

Like Red Devil Said .emn & emp arerequired.
Select Choose FILE

You can also substitute the standard blocks that are created by the IDF files with actual models. You need to use the ecad_hint.add file, open this file in a text editor and and for each component change the MCAD name to your model name. One important note is that the model coordinate sysytem must match the orientation of the PCB component footprint. Save the ecad_hint.add file as ecad_hint.map. Now re-import the board data.

Good luck

Red Devil

Thank you so much Red Devil and J!

I did as you wrote and the assembly appeared as a reunion of cuboids. That is OK. One more question though, if you are so kind as to help me once more.

Is there a special pug-in or whatever that is used to mediate between Pro and Mentor? I suppose there is, since the electrical/electronical engineers say there has to be more information in the sample files I exported for them (Mentor specific, i.e. keepin and keepout areas, component fixing and so on). What do I need to do to fullfil their need?

Thanks in advance, Adrian.

Hi Adrian,

You don't need a plug-in, you can add keep-in and keep-out areas in Pro then export to IDF.

Firstly you need to create your board profile, you MUST make sure that the coordinate system is correct, the Z axis must be pointing towards you. Then choose insert/cosmetic ECAD area. Choose which type of keep-in or keep-out you require and sketch is as normal.Enter values for any prompts forheights etc etc.

Now 'save a copy' scroll down the file type and choose IDF. Now choose the Ecad format, i usually choose IDF 3.0, but you choose what is relevant to your sysytem. Now Choose Board for the object type and the relevant coordinate system. The EMN file will now be exported. If you open the EMN file in a text editor, you'll see the data for the board outline and any keep-in/outs you have added.

Hope this helps.

Red Devil

Usually I create a flat PCB board part. Location of thecsys is reasonably important (xy not the Z) to mentor. Ask theelectrical guy which "corner" he wants it.

Then I create the ECAD areas: Keep-in and Keep-out as cosmetics

Wildfire 2.0:Insert > Cosmetic > ECAD Area
2001:Feature > Create > Cosmetic > ECAD Areas

for both sides of the board (if double-sided).I do this hatched. I give them maximum heights depending on the housing.

I then always produce a drawing for....with a hatch key of the various keep outs/ins and the height restrictions. Also I talk it through with the mentor guy.

I always keep 2.5mm from the edge. And at 1.5mm around the screw head.

When you re-import PCB assy....and are confidant aboutcomponentheights...check both for interference and clearances...I aim to keep (an absolute minimum)2.5mm away fromthe housing -- if vibration is a concern...I've seen closer....and seen problems with greater. Depends on what kind of process the use to make the PCB...reflow can cause components to float a lot.

Hope this helps :)

btw: I've never heard anything good about Mentor....I've had problems with ECAD areas not being imported properly into mentor and I've had various successes/failures importing stuff from mentor....these have been both Mentor & ProE problems.

If any one knows any config options or tips...I'd be very interested.

Thank you so much you guys for the tips.

I'll need some time to process all this amount of information, as I am new to this electrical Pro stuff. That's for certain, you saved me a lot of headaches.

As I will trip over new odds, maybe you will be again able to spare a second with a freshman
smiley2.gif

You were too kind, Adrian.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back