Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

free part viewer

In addition to ProductView Express you can also try Pro/Desktop Express. ProductView Express is limited to a very small window of your web browser. Pro/D allows much more interigation of the model and mark-up capability. However, Pro/D won't handle family tables.

I my opinion PTC is neglgent in not providing a decnet viewer. Compared to what's offered by Cadkey, SolidWorks and AutoCAD the viewer choices for Pro/E aren't worth a damn. I usually have to resort to exporting the models in either a CAD neutral format like STEP that can be read into another system or saving an image in JPEG, PostScript of PDF.

Bernie Hayden

XKL LLC

thank all of you for the responses.

the drawing files created in proe can not be viewed in produvt view express. it displays that the graphics data not available. i am using wildfire.

please help

There are two config settings that must be set before you save a file you want to view with Product View Xpress.

save_model_display shading_lod

save_drawing_picture_file embed

If these settings were not set before you last saved the drawing / part you must set the above config options then change the drawing. I'm not sure of other factors but that may solve your problems.

We have made these options part of our config.sup file so every drawing / part created by our workstations is viewable with PVX.

Tried the Hoops 3D viewer. Works well for .prt files but bombs on .asm files. Is that other peoples experience or is it just me?

Bernie Hayden

XKL LLC

Still in search of a decent viewer for Pro/E files

I downloaded the Model Press software and tried bringing something in, I couldn't get anywhere with it.

To view assembly files in Hoops 3D change all of the assembly-part instances to 1 (bolt.prt.1, nut.prt.1)

This works most of the time

survey

i renamed all the prt instances to 1 like bolt.prt.1 etc.,

after that it wont open the part files also..

eswar

eswar,

Changing the instance to .1 has worked great so far. Do you files open up in Pro/E? I can open all of the assembies and part files. Are your part files large. I opened a 15mb file and it took abour 4 minutes.

I also created the HTML files like they have in their websites gallery. For best results change the tellellation options (befor importing files) to:

angular tolerance: 1

planar toleran: .000001

Tessellation: .15

(Does anyone have any better settings to improve the visual quality?)

Save the file in .hsf format.

Open the hsp formated file and save as: HTML.

Then you can open it in Internet Explorer

I wish they had a better user manual.

survey

Survey,

Thanks, I change the files to have no extension and that seems to do the trick for loading .asm files. Anyone have a good way to do this quickly and safely (i.e. without risk of deleting files). purge.exe seems to want to leave the highest version number. Playing with DOS command line I was having trouble duplicating the file extension; ren *.prt.* *.prt.1 results in *.prt.prt.1

Bernie Hayden

XKL LLC

bhayden,

TruEInnovations at one time offered a free program (truEUtilities) that automatically renames Pro files to *.*.1. Looks like since their acquisition by Autodesk they no longer offer it. TruEUtilities also purges folders and subfolders plus deletes certain file types you specify.

I do have the *.exe, which I can email if you want (it's about 2 MB).

Pro/E Central used to adversite this utility.

http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cach...ils.asp?pid=3811+trueutilities&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I would recommend backing up the assembly in question to a new directory. That way all of the files have a .1 extension PLUS there is no issue with accidentally deleting or renaming good files.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back