Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Formats??

james.lynch

Anybody got any hint's or tips for creating Formats? like the title blocks and the location grids and the like?

Also,howdo you adda a format to an existing drawing? or for that matter, What's the best practice for creating an Engineering Drawing? I'm not on about standards or anythign like that, I suppose what I mean is the fastest and best workflow..

Thanks for the help,

James

come on guys, this must be a pretty standard thing to do.. (I must be stupid not to be able to do it myself but that's probably a fair statment!
smiley9.gif
)

what I really need to know is how to add a format to an existing drawing,

I have a BAD format,so i suppose I can use that if I'm really stuck!

Thanks

sheets, format, add/replace?
(Or am I stupid not understanding what you are asking for, since this is too basic to be a good answer)

wf2

in the drawing

file ->page settup->format.

u can also right click on a blank section on ur drawing and then goto -> page settup

Edited by: puppet

no , your not too stupid to understand what I'm looking for.... would you believe before this weekend I have never created a drawing!

Or mayby my terminology is wrong? what I've done is simply go to File/New/Drawing and created it using the A3 template.. Puppet, this seems to be what I can change when I go to page setup..

so if I go to File/New Format, am I right in saying that I can create a new format which would be A3 in size, have a title block and the location grid, put in a few tabel options like part names and so on?

then save this new format, and reopen the drawing and go to page set up and use this format instead..

is this what I need to do?

Okj...if you want...to have already...loaded (B) A4,A3,A2,A1 (/B) etc. format which have already...created drw name...and another information. I have created script for shortkey (Icons)....which create all basic format with ...another specified information...if you want I send you example of script...in script is defined sheet...name positions of all symbol instances for fill information in sheet

Formats are created manually. Choose the file>new icon and you will see formats listed. Formats are nothing more than a Pro/E drawing used specifically for one purpose. As previously stated, you can save time by creating symbol instances of title block/rev column... tables and have the tables inserted at certain locations. These tables can contain certain parameters which can be automatically retrieved from a part or assembly. I would start with the predefined formats available and edit those to your requirements. I have not worked with formats for many years and believe drawing templates add even more power than the old format only option. Format size is standard and can be found in any drafting manual. You may want to attempt to find a draftsman to help you or search the net for "Drawing Formats".

Hi James,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
If you have a format, you can use the file open format (file type list)from the file open menu. I would recommend getting a format that already exists, and edit it to do what you would like. Statements, auto bill of materials using parameters, rev blocks and locations. Make sure you get the over all locations correct for printing out for your plotter and printers, or you will be adding offsets every time you want to plot...
You create formats; these should not change going forward, so you should spend a lot of time getting it correct and everything you need, because once a drawing is saved using a format that is what stays with the drawing, unless you manually replace it. If you change the format, it DOES NOT update all existing drawings.

Tofflemire

jeff-gabby said:
If you change the format, it DOES NOT update all existing drawings.
Actually, changes to formats EXCEPT TABLES do automatically update drawings. However, the tables are the most important part because they contain all the parametrics. To get new tables, just pick the existing format name again and tell Pro/E to remove all existing tables.

Guys, thanks for the great responce, these kind of topics are great for us Newbs who haven't got an administrator or a guru who we can ask!

So if I understand ye right, it's worth spending a lot of time creating a good format to get it right first time. because changes to tables within formats do not autoamatically update.. anybody know why this is? but if I unserstand correctly, I could change some other aspect of the format and that would automatically update to the drawings created with that format, or I could simply swap the existign table for another if the need arose?

Thanks again,

James

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back