Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

file-> backup

puppet

is there a way to get it to copy over the related drawing files of each of the parts when doing this?

when i do file->save as, it get a new copy of the file and its drawing.

if i do file->save as, in a assembly, i only get the assembly file and its drawing.. i wish to copy over the parts aswell.

anyone know a quick and easy way?

There is an option in the config.pro file rename_drawings_with_object - set to both - this will copy parts & drawings with assemblies.

Intralink can do it for you using hte Duplicate function...

If no Intralink, then you'll need th ol' Bait & Switch technique:

1. <LI>Copy all of your existing (oldname) files to a separate directory</LI>
    <LI>Start a new Pro/E session working out of new directory</LI>
    <LI>Open all models AND drawings into session</LI>
    <LI>Start renaming all models in session (that you want copies of)</LI>
    <LI>Save all the models in session</LI>
    <LI>Rename the drawings</LI>
    <LI>save the drawings</LI>
    <LI>Copy only the 'new-named' objects back into your original directory</LI>

Note: you'll need to keep Pro/E's parent-child relationships in mind as you're doing this and remember that you must first rename and save the children and THEN do the parents so that the parents will be saved with references to the new 'child' names.

Disclaimer... back up all you files first... this can easily get messy and there's no 'UNDO' button for this (other than working in reverse).

-Brian

Do the "File >Backup" instead of the "File >Save As". Everything related to the top level item will be saved in a directory you specify, default save dir being your current directory.

If you want to copy the parts as well as the assembly, you will have to rename the parts as well - otherwise it assumes you are using the same parts, and doesn't copy them.

One word of caution about using file/backup. It will create duplicate files of everything referenced by the object you are backing up with the same names in two different directories. Be sure to restart Pro/E in the new backup directory and rename every part and assembly. Otherwise you are asking for problems down the road.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back