Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

FEA

sheppardmk

My company is in the process of looking for a new FEA software. I was wondering if anyone knew of a software that works well with importing models from Pro-E? Pro-E is our prodominate 3-d modeling software. We have been using IDEAS but are in the market to make a change. IDEAS has issues importing Pro-E models and meshing around curves. If there is anyone out there who has experience in the FEA relam of modeling and knows of a powerful software your knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

I used to use Patran with Pro/E and it brought in parts and assemblies no problem. It actually started Pro/E up in no graphics mode and did some sort of direct translation. It did consume a Pro/E license during the transfer but released it as soon as the translation was done. No intermediate file. That was back before MSC bought PDA, don't know what current functionality is.

Have you used Pro/Mechanica?

In most of the cases it performs better than others and is integrated with ProE as well.

If you can afford ANSYS Workbench 9.0 is ,i think, perfect with ProE WF 2.0

Israr

ANSYS.

Mechnaica is good for simpler designs like single parts but is really limited in terms of elements, functionality etc.

it depends on the type of analysis work u are doing.if the analysis is simple basically a static structural,thermal,contact analysis then i think structural and thermal simulation package of pro/engineer will fit the bill perfectly as it will be integrated with pro/engineer.also it is different in the sense that it is not a FEA package but a GEM (geometry element modeling) package. so no need of tedious meshing procedures.the software will take care of that automatically.

but if the analysis is complex,non-linear,dynamic analysis then i will recommend ansys 9.0 as it has a direct connection with pro/e.so no data loss will be there.

Any of you have tried working with Pro/E and Algor for FEA. I've used itonly a couple of times, but it've worked fine for me.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back