Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Fast 3D but slow 2D

zweck

Has anyone ever seen a case where you canrotate assemblies fine in 3D but it is agonizingly slow to drag dimensions and notes around in 2D? I have to sit and wait for the item to catch up to my mouse. Is that a setting or a video card issue? I'm on WF2 with a new machine, but not a PTC-approved card.

Thanks.

CAD-cards are optimized for 3D acceleration, not for line drawing. But the difference should never be such as you describe. Might be a setting or a driver. You can experiment with both. Sometimes throwing away the driver in config and reinstalling helps.

Alex

The problem is the antialias settings. In 2d the hardware can't handle very well the regeneration of thedimensions and lines. Try to turn off the antialias setting, and you will see a very big improvement.

Thanks, but I just tried this and it still isn't working. I turned off all the anti-aliasing settings of the video card (I didn't see a specific setting for 2D) and it still is not working. I saw on one site that ATI cards had a problem with this.

ATI cards are abysmal with Pro/E. They are notorious for crashing Pro/E. Replace it with an NVidia Quadro if you can or a GeForce if your pocket isn't so deep. There isn't a lot of differnce if your assemblies are mid-sized.

pjw said:
ATI cards are abysmal with Pro/E. They are notorious for crashing Pro/E. Replace it with an NVidia Quadro if you can or a GeForce if your pocket isn't so deep. There isn't a lot of differnce if your assemblies are mid-sized.

Bit of a yes and no on this one pjw.

Yes to the Quadro, and there really is no comparison between it and an ATI card, the ATI's are just pants.

No, to the GeForce card though. I have tried it at home and its barely even as good as using an ATI card. GeForce cards are developed for gaming (high refresh rates specifically). They just don't deal with spinning models.

Kev

generaly I won`t dive into hardware reasons. I suppose You have created complicated sketchers or cosmetic. Specialy text included in sketcher can push Pro/e to have a problem while catching a breath.

Use text option in sketcher with limits. Create two rows at best. No more.

Divide(Part modeling) long notes into small fragments.

Beware before referencing to Extruded text in sketcher. Same as above, do this with limits.

Put attention on the no. of edges used in sketcher. If You use USE EDGE tool for too long edge chains(geometry with rounds) You`d probably go into problems either.

The drawing is an extra topic with this related. Luckly there are a lot of tools included which can help You manage complicated geom inside drawing. Simp rep, erase view, creating view with wireframe option can accelerate drawing update a little bit.

Any way it is long thema for sure

There was a time a I was introduced such a problem, to accelarate work with complicated drawings(assembly with many FT driven components). Refresh time ca. 1.5 - 2 minutes!!!

I came with this to 30sec down. In the end it appeared users do want to learn to much and wok with this "demanding" method though
smiley18.gif

I had the same problems and have a Gforce8400M on my laptop. I learnt that it was slowing down when the laptom was not plugged to the power supply , it was changing to power saving mode. Anyway even when plugged in it sometimes slows down when dragging complex views of hignlighting cross sections.

Hello,

I'm having the same issues as Zweck... Everything in Pro E working fine except the drafting features within the drawing. All drafting features such as dimensions, lines etc take ages to catch up with the mouse. Started at a new compnay and this is causing me to tear my hair out. Thisoccurs ondrawings with next to nothing in them.... and simple parts.

I'm running an approved Nvidia quadro FX1700Video card, on a HPstation running XP 32bit, and onwildfire 4. I've played around with the antialiasing settings to no avail. Whats more annoying is that when I open the Nvidia control panel the problem goes but no matter what setting I select when i close the app the dimension dragging goes back to super slow.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I'm having the same issue as UltraCADMan with similar hardware and PTC approved drivers. Here is my setup:

Dell Precision T3400 (dual core)
NVidia Quadro FX3700
Dual Dell 22" LCD displays
Pro/Engineer Wildfire 2.0

I have the same setup as jhyder79 and I am having the same sluggish drawing problems as everyone else. I am using the nView setup that lets you jump back and forth between windows (icon at top right of screen). The guy that sets beside me has exactly the same computer setup as me, except he doesn't have nView installed on his computer. He has no problems moving views, balloons, tables. I don't know if this is the answer to the problem, but that is the only difference between my computer and his.

About 3 computers ago I was able to use multiple virtual desktops under nView which I really liked. Then I had one where the combination of card/driver/ProE version would crash occasionally. After several crashes, nView actually popped up and said the virtual desktop feature had been disabled for xtop (ProE). Solved the crashing but made the virtual desktop feature pretty much worthless. Never tried virtual desktops again.

Never had this slow down problem, just pointing out how small differences in settings and software can cause problems. Windoze is so bloated these days with useless geegaws it's really hard to have a nice clean well performing system despite all the gigs of ram & multiple processors. I've got a brand new box that is significantly slower than the 5 year old on that blew it's motherboard despite twice as many cores and 6 gigs of ram.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back