Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Family tree like command in Sw

sandeep410

Suppose i have created a part model and i ahve to recreate that same
part+ model by changing some of its dimensions while keeping other
constant. Is there any command or Macro by which i can do that. Dont
suggest Pack and go.

I think that CONFIGURATIONS is what you are looking for.
Tell us exactly what you wish. Someone will help you better.

Good luck !

Suppose i wana make 1000 flanges.Only some of parameters of falnges i w+ana change such as outside dia,flane inner dia,PCD of holes,Dia of holes,Thk of flanges
these parameters for each flange is differnt and it keeps on changing.So is there anyway such that i have to enter only these diemsions and flange gets created automatically.Right now what i am doing is using Pack and go and manually editing each flanges which is tedious

Can any1 tell me how to use that configuration thing.

Hope this time I understand better.

I think that DESIGN TABLE is the solution for you.
Or LINKED PARAMETERS.

I can not teach you how to use this tools because is a lot of information about.
Look in SW help files and I am sure that you understand from there.

Good luck !
Hope you receive more (and better) answers from the SW gurru.

ok I managed to create lot of instance of same part by design table.But now i cannot save each instances as diff name.Can any1 tell me how to do that.

You can name the instances in DT or in CONFIGURATION tab (this tab is on top of Features Manager). The DT (and the instances) will be saved with part, and you can use them anywhere you need.

Note that DT is a Excel file. So you can use ALL the Excel features like "sort", "calculated cells", "linked cells", "Macros or VBA code" and so on. DT is as powerfull as yours Excel skill.

Good luck !

I want one instances to be saved seperately and in that instance i dont want other instances to be displayed in configuration tree

I see only one solution for that. It is not a SW solution. It is an windows one.

SAVE AS your part with all instances (for further use). Of course you must change the name of the part or put it in a different folder. Or you can make a copy of the file using Windows Explorer or other program like this one.
In the original part delete all instances except one you need.

As far as I know there is not a SW solution for that. Sorry.

If you find other solution, post it please.
Good luck !

Solidworks Explorer is the perfect tool for this. You might have to save it at first with just a prefix or suffix to the original name, but it will copy the parts & assemblies, preserving all the relationships. You can then use SoldiWorls Explorer again to completelyre-name the new parts.

Hope that helps.

HI Sandeep,

You need to open SolidWorks Explorer then navigate to the assembly file. Right-click and select Pack and Go. The dialogue on the right will then give you options for re-naming (prefix or suffix only at this stage), saving to new folders etc. I would advise against copying drawings; it always stalls for me. ONce you ok this it will save copies of everything. you can then go through the same process with the newly-saved files, but select 'Rename' from the right-click menu. Each file can then be completely renamed and will keep all the associativity of the original.

For the drawings I would just copy in Windows Explorer, change filenames there, and change the file references to the new lcoations when you open each drawing. You should find that the dimensions etc. will be ok since the new and old parts are essentially the same. This bit is something of a drag but is better than making new drawings.

Good luck!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back