Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Family Table in Assembly

proedesign

My family table problem is the following (I hope it's not confusing):

I have an assembly A. That contains a sub-assembly X. Sub-assembly X has a family table that must contain the instances X1, X2 and X3.

The difference between Sub-assemblies X1, X2 and X3 is that they have in their assembly the part family table instances P1, P2 and P3 respectively.

What can I do to have my sub-assemblies X1, X2 and X3 in a family table to be able to replace them in my assembly A?.

Thanks in advance,

ProG

If you just want to replace sub-assembly X1 with X2 use 'Replace' function.

Component > Adv Utils > Replace.

If this is not what you are looking for, give more details.

Dear Charleskim, thank you for your input.

Actually my problem is to properly create the Sub-assembly X family table.

Component P is the first component of this sub-assembly. I can replace P with one of the instances (P1, P2 or P3) and the sub-assembly X will regenerate without problems. But, how can I properly do the family table of Sub-assembly X in a way that I can have the instance X1 with component P1, the instance X2 with component X2 and so on....

Thanks a million!

You need to create a family table for sub-assembly X.

1. Add item in family table, component P (the generic part).

2. Edit family table. Add instance names (X1, X2, X3). And in next column (where component 'P' is) add P1, P2, P3.

Do you mean to asseble the P1 and P2 instances first to the generic x sub-assembly and then add them to the table columns to be able to turn them on and off as required for the subassemblieX1, X2 and X3 instances? (having as columns: P,P1, P2 and P3?).

If this is what you meant, I tried that already but, if I blank out the generic part P for the instance X1 I get nothing in my instance X1 assembly. Or, is there a way to replace the generic part p in the table instead of blanking it?.

I would like to e-mail you the file to look at it. I hope it's ok with you.

Thanks a lot again,

In your generic assembly X. You should have only the generic P part NOT P1 & P2.

Then add component P (generic part) to family table.

Then if you open up the family table it should look something like this.

! Generic assembly name: X

! Name M123

! P

! =============================

! GENERIC Y

Then add instances like below.

! Generic assembly name: X

! Name M123

! P

! =============================

! GENERIC Y

X1 P1