Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Extruded hole

SrGilberto

Hi all (and thanks in advance for your assistance),

We create sheetmetal parts and sometimes we create a feature that we call an "extruded hole". That is when a hole is pierced through the metal and it allows the material to form and roll out past the far side surface of the wall. The hole is created this way so that there is enough material on the far side of the wall that a thread-forming screw can be driven into it and will self tap the material. Having explained that, here is the issue. We had a Pro-E person who is no longer with our company. He created some of these features on a sheetmetal part but did it in a different way than I am accustomed to doing. In his feature tree it shows up as a "protrusion". When I edit his protrusion, there is no depth dimension (only the sketch dims). Pro-E seems to know the depth is by some defaultso nodim shows up for the depth of the protrusion. For his sketch he selected the edges of a previously created hole feature with a concentric circle drawn around with a diameter that that allows the material thickness to remain constant.

The way I've created this feature in the past is to place an unattached wall there. It works just fine but since we are modifying his part and needing to add someextruded holeswe want all the extruded holes in the partto be done in a consistant way.

Do you know have any idea as to how he created the features?

Thanks again,

Gil

You do not need to know how he created it.

By far the easiest was to get all your holes consistent is not to attempt to recreate his feature but to COPY it using Edit/Feature Operations/Copy

Note: It is eminently possible to have features in a sheetmetal part that are impossible to create in sheetmetal which may have happened here. However you can get them in by copying them from another part.

DB

Dell_Boy,

You're right in the sense that I don't need to know how he created it, I just need to to copy it. However, out of curiosity, I would like to know how he created it. I'll copy his feature to see if I can get more clues.

Walt Weiss, Aparently it is not a flange feature either. A flange feature brings up a "dashboard" for defining the feature. When I do a redefine onhisprotrusionfeature, no dashboard comes up.

It all remains a mystery.

Thanks,

Gil

Another way is to design a tool for the shape and then
remove the surface. This way it will be a form feature
of the punch which you can flatten for blank.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back