Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Excluding a component from section

I do not think what you are trying to do is possible. Pro-E sees the cross hatched areas for the complete part, not just the portion not covered by the excluded component. A possiblity would be to convert the view to draft entities and clean it up.

Why not create a offset section?

Create a section by sketching section line from top to what you are trying to show.

Charles

have you tried VIEW > UPDATE > CURRENT SHEET or anything like that? It may be working properly, but not yet displaying properly.

Try view-drawing display-component display-blank, then chose with "pick from list" component to whom this section belong. Probably the problem is component "in behind"

<DIV>Hi Guys</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for your assistance.
</DIV>
<DIV>I have tried every solution suposed with nosuccess whatsoever.</DIV>
<DIV>Somesolution you gave me applies just fine if I do not mind showing the other parts covered by this external excluded component.</DIV>

<DIV>In this case, I dont want to see covered components by the externalexcluded comp, even though they were sectioned.</DIV>

<DIV>Working with CATIA I got the desired result: (see attached pict).</DIV>

<DIV>I wonder if we coulddo that on PRO\E.</DIV>

<DIV>View attachment 2755</DIV>

<DIV>thanks for helping</DIV>

I tried this on one of my assemblies and I see what you're talking about. I found the following at the PTC website:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=117635

Number 117635
Type TPI
Created Date 29-Oct-2002
Last Updated 04-Apr-2003
Title Excluding a Component from a Cross-Section View, Cross-Hatching of Components Hidden By the Excluded Component Are Still Visible
Details Additional Information

Description
-----------------
When excluding a component which is hiding other non-excluded components from a cross-section, cross-hatching of these components is still visible, even if now hidden by the first component

Alternate Technique
-----------------
See resolution below

Resolution
-----------------
This is the intended behaviour: it is not normal to exclude a component from a cross-section, without also excluding components hidden by it.

For example, having a shaft with a ring, it is correct to exclude the shaft leaving the ring in the section or to exclude both the shaft and the ring, but is incorrect to exclude the ring, leaving the shaft cross-hatched.

I think charleskim's suggestion is going to have to be what you do. Create an offset section that only cuts where you want hatch to be shown. Are you familiar with offset sections?

Another possible solution would be to create a simplied rep of the assembly and remove the components that you want and use it for the view. Setting the hatch spacing so large that you can't see it seems like a nifty workaround, however.

Ben

Based on the drawing in question, it looks to me like some of the hatch that is still seen "through" the excluded component is from the part that is next to the excluded part. If so, then this is what complicates things. If all of the unwanted hatch is from other components, then the answer seems easy, exclude all components "behind" the excluded component.

And What if I want to show the hatch on just a part of the component hidden? if the component is partially hidden by the comp excluded.

PTC says it

An idea I just thought of, try making the section local and put the boundary of the section just outside the part you want to be "excluded". For the example in the original posting, this might work. The spline would need to follow the edge of the part very closely to look ok, but it may do.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back