Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

elliptical dome

michaelpaul

Can somebody please enlighten me as to how I can produce a dome with an elliptical border? Please see attached image from SolidWorks for what I'm hoping to accomplish.

I'm back in Pro/E after being away for a number of years and can't seem to figure out how to do this. In SW, there were two options and each were quite simple. One was to simply create an elliptical protrusion and then use a handy little <DOME> command to add height to the surface. However, this technique requires that the surface you are doming is already raised. In my case I don't want that.

So, I simply sketched an ellipse on one face of the part. This sketch is then my boundary. I then sketched my domed profile for the short side of the ellipse as if I were going to revolve the entire sketch. I aligned the end to be coincident to the boundary sketch. I did the same thing for the long side of the ellipse on another datum plane normal to the first one. I aligned the ends accordingly.

I then just used the <LOFT> (SW equivalent to blend for the most part) command to create the feature but I selected the boundary ellipse as a guide curve to assure that the two anchored end points followed an elliptical path. I then simply mirrored the feature about each datum to create the complete feature. add a round and I'm done.

How can this be done in Pro/E Wildfire? any help is greatly appreciated. I'm sure the answer is there, I just haven't been back with Pro/E long enough to know where to look.

Thanks

dome%20sample.JPG

megaladon said:
insert advanced radius dome/section dome may help

thanks. radius dome seems to be the same thing as the SW DOME command. not quite what I want but good to know about. I have to play around with section dome some but that may work as well.

Michael

Raduis dome & section dome will change the entire surface. For solid features, you can always just do a revolved protrusion but you will have to fool around with the dimensions to get the area that you want.
View attachment 1795
If you have surfacing (which I don't) I think you can make the surface pretty much the way you described in SW and solidfy it.

Think it can be done with a boundary blend or sweep (paraboloid with planar trim creates an ellipse boundary).

Using WF or WF2? If you have WF2 I'll post examples.

(DR_, you don't have Pro/Surface?)

A couple of ways...

2006-02-14_113414_prt0001.prt.zip

On the boundary blend make sure you pick
the "sub curves" (guess that's a good name for 'em)
of the ellipse for chains 1 & 3 (pre-select highlite,
RMB).

For the VSS, you might want to manually create
trim curves so the closed loop end points end
up in "logical" locations.

dr_gallup said:
Now that I see jeff4136 solution, I see that it is really very simple without using surfaces or VSS at all. All you need is one curve and a simple sweep along it. The dimensions used are directly the height and width of the resultant ellipse and the height of the dome. I added a confirmation curve of a true ellipse just to make sure the solution was accurate.

2006-02-14_163608_simple_elliptical_dome.prt.zip

Thanks. that definately was the ticket. I never would have stumbed across the blend feature but having seen it I can definitely see future uses for it.

Michael

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back