Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dreaded pattern question :-(...

kumaichi

I'm trying to create small teeth on a flat section of my drawing that will go completly around the circle. I found a really helpful article in the help but I think the way my drawing is setup, that I can't seem to get it to work. The help document I'm using is the Radial Pattern. I think it's the one I need but if I can use something better please let me know.

I would much prefer to be taught to fish instead of someone just giving me a fish ;-).

Anyway, this is what I've done to try and duplicate the help file.

1. I created two datum planes based off of the centerline of the circle. (This seemed to have worked fine because I got an angle of 45 degrees like the help file explained.

2. I sketched the protrusion I wanted to pattern.

3. Right clicked on the cut I just created and chose Pattern from the menu.

Now, this is where it get's tricky. The help file tells me to select the angle of 45 degrees to base my pattern off of. As you can see from the picture, I don't have a 45 degree angle to choose from. Am I way off base here or am I just missing something?

Thanks for any insite you can provide,

Craig

http://www.proecentral.com/uploads/images/circular_part.jpg

No, I'm pretty sure I didn't. Let me look in the help for how to group the cut and the datum.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually, I'm using wildfire so I'm not sure I can use that feature, thanks for the info though. I probably should have specified which version I was using, sorry about that.

I tried the local group method and it still didn't work. I grouped the cut and the DTM2 (which is the one that was 45 degrees of DTM1.) When I selected the pattern, it asked me for which angle and again, the 45 degree angle isn't anywhere to be found. The only angles are the ones in the previously posted image :-(.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks a bunch for all the help. I finally figured out that I needed to group both of my Datums in order to see the 45 degree angle. Worked like a champ, check it out :)

View attachment 342

Thanks again for everyones help with this.

Have a great day,

Craig

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back