Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawings w/ Dashed hidden lines

GregPage

How do I get Wildfire drawings to use dashed lines for hidden lines (like everyone else)instead of the grayed lines? The grayed lines are giving the machine shops fits as they look the same as solid lines once the drawings are copied to send to the shop floor.

I tried the forum search, and the useless Wildfire help but neither pulled up anything usefull.

Thanks - Greg

I'll have to go back and ask "exactly" what they did, as when I went back and double checked the PDF files it did show as dashed lines. I guessed the prints (I never see them) were the same as it shows on the screen.
Edited by: GregPage

I found the problem. The parent viewwas changed to "display hidden", but the other views didn't, so they printed as all solid lines (since the print was made with the model in "shaded" view). Can I set the system drawing defaults so all views are always made with hiddent lines, regardless of the display mode for the model?

If you make drawing templates, you can set the display mode for hidden lines and tangent lines in the standard views. You can also set the display mode for new views in the drawing detail config files.

We ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS explicitly set the display mode of every view so that hard copy is created consistently.

Dear Greg,

I have learnt it the hard way, that HIDDEN LINES should NEVER ever be shown in a drawing view. With the 3D model in place you may take as many section views as required to completely and unambigusly define the geometry.

You may also place the section view in a Trimetric orientation for a quick understanding of the geometry.

The above is from my experience, which I recommend and have sucessfully implemented in the assignments that I have worked on.

Thanks for the replys, but that still doesn't answer my problem. I need to find a way to make hidden lines the default for all new views (seems pretty logical to me, can't guess why Pro-e makes it so hard to do). We use a drawing frame template, but since the parts/drawings differ so much having set default views would only result in deleting them to start over much of the time.

You can set the display mode for new views in the drawing detail config files. Create a file with your settings and set it as the default.

This will not affect existing views so you will have to manually change them.

SRINIVASANIYER1,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I beg to differ on NEVER showing hidden lines. Having cut my teeth as a hand drafter for 5 years while getting my engineering degree, I feel that this is one of the most overlooked issues with engineers in general, especially new engineers. I believe it's BAD FORM to NOT show hidden lines. A drawing should have the least amount of views possible to completely convey design intent. To add views, simply because its easy, is not a good practice. I always add an orthogonal view to help clarify the part. I wouldn

Gregpage, I am also confused about default configs and making them stick when proe opens. If you go to tools / options, you can set up the drawing options but when I save them they never seem to come back the way I want them. there is a current session.pro and thats all I see in there.I would like to set my default view displays to no hidden

I found the file, it is accessed from file/properties, not in the tools menu (like other config files are, go figure).

Thanks - Greg

twincam88
see my previous post. (you may have been responding while I was typing.) You need to create a drawing setup file (used to be called a detail file, thus the file extentin .dtl) and then have Pro call that file when you make new drawings. Once in a drawing, you can make changes to the detail file for that drawing, but unless you save the changes to your created .dtlfile, they won't com back next time.

Here is what I use:
In loadpoint\text\config.pro
drawing_setup_file $PRO_DIRECTORY\..\..\..\solid\drw_files\drawing_setup_file.d tl

Obviously, your path & file names will be different.
There are 144 settings in the drawing_setup_file.dtl including these 2 that control display of new views:

model_display_for_new_views NO_HIDDEN
tan_edge_display_for_new_views no_disp_tan

scubadude said:
SRINIVASANIYER1,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

I beg to differ on NEVER showing hidden lines. Having cut my teeth as a hand drafter for 5 years while getting my engineering degree, I feel that this is one of the most overlooked issues with engineers in general, especially new engineers. I believe it's BAD FORM to NOT show hidden lines. A drawing should have the least amount of views possible to completely convey design intent. To add views, simply because its easy, is not a good practice. I always add an orthogonal view to help clarify the part. I wouldn

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back