Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawing a inverted cone

I supose that you start withmy part. Of corse that the lower side is not equal with the upper side. That happen even before to use CHAMFER tool. But, if you edit the sketch for the teeth, you can change the dimenssions in this sketch until you obtain what you wish. There is a simple math.

Good luck !

Michael's tutorial

michael, I can't figure how to went from step one to step two getting the centre of the piece shorter then the outer

My brother in law came around and helped me out. Figured the teeth out using two planes

piece3.jpg

Slowly learning what I need to know to get this done.
Thank you so much for your help!

Step 1 was purely a couple of sketches to relate to. In Step 2, I sketched the profile of the inverted cone and revolved it. Hope that makes a bit more sense now.

Remember there's no one way to do this and as long as you get to the desired result then you can refine your technique after that. I've been using SW now for 10 years and I'm still learning every day!!!

Glad you got it figured out.
smiley4.gif

Hy !

My mistake, guys. It is not as easy as I think first time.

Michael ! I don't know ProE, butI understand your idea. Is the same as mine. Youdefine an offset surface and use itforteeth hight. (if I understand well).But your teeth are like maine - the "boss" is not equal with the "cut". (hope you understand, because my english...).

Phizinza ! The two plains is an idea. But the teeth's surfacecan bea plane ? If YES is ok. But I think that this surface must be conical.

Trying to make the teeth, I understand that the edges of the teeth do NOT intersecting in the center of the "inverted cone".

I know that is easy to say: Your partis not ok. Is hard to provide a solution. But I hope that my "no" can help other to solve the problem.

Good luck !

Mihail,

Yes, offseting the surface was what i did for the teeth height. Not sure what you mean though by the boss is not equal with the cut.

Phizina,

the walls of the teeth on your clutch look like they twist. am i correct in saying that?

michael3130 said:
Phizina,

the walls of the teeth on your clutch look like they twist. am i correct in saying that?
They do, I had not noticed that before. Maybe this is just a problem with the top sketch dimensions. I tried making an offset surface like you did in ProE but cannot figure it out in Solidworks.

Looking closer at what I am trying to copy (just looking at pictures at the moment not the actually real deal) it looks like the "teeth" aren't equal to the part in between the teeth.
What I am trying to do is copy a differential part, then change its dimensions to fit a different differential. So when I get the parts together and I can actually measure them up then I'll be able to figure out how these teeth will actually look. Looks like I've learnt enough to be able to figure it out though
Thank you so much for all your help and if I need more I'll be sure to drop by :)

yea do. A lot can be learnt from the forums questions.

What version of Sw are you using? I'll try to model it on SW using the same approcah i used in ProE and send the file through to you.

The disc can be easily made by single revolve command,after that you extrude that teeth like shape and made circular pattern for the same.

Mark Wilson

Mark,

If you read hrough the posts you will see that the teeth are drafted. Setting that up is the complicated bit of the whole process so it is not a single revolve followed by extrude. It may be easy and straight forward for those of us that have been using SW for a long time but Phizina saidthey area beginner so tothem and others a bit of guidance helps.

Michael !

Do you solve the problem ? If YES, try to upload the file or send it to me.

I can not see the result (without a lot of math).

Thank you !

No, havent had a chance to look at it on SW yet. Been very busy in work and at home.

Will try it and post my result if I get some free time.

piece4.jpg

Using a revolve on top of the other revolve I made a "tooth". Then chamfered the sides down to taper more (making the gaps in between more even). Then chamfered the edges down on a 25 degree angle.

This was a much easier way then with all the planes. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it accurate enough.. We'll see when I actually get my hands on the part I'm trying to copy.

Hy Phiz !

If you need a single wheel with a certain number of teeth ( I see 7) and a certain outer and inner diameterfor thewheel and a certain height for teeth and a certain... is not veryhard to play with the teeth arcsdimensions until you gain what you wish.

The real problem is to makethat wheel updatable:ifYOU change a dimension, SW change other dimensions and provide you a new wheel with the same properties.

Thank you for "tooth".

I've just been playing around seeing if it is possible to do different things, so atm the dimensions and amount of teeth don't matter, just as long as I know the process needed for when I design the final piece.
smiley1.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back