Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawing a inverted cone

Phizinza

Hi, I'm new to here and to CAD. I'm trying to make a small simple piece, well I thought it would be simple.
Instead of explaining it completely with text I drew up a quick sketch in MS Paint haha!

piece1.gif

So as you can see it is a disc, with the top side coned into it. It has a hole in the middle and on the top there need to be teeth (that are like dog clutch type teeth) but that is a different part of it so lets just focus on how to make that cone inside the disc.
I've been doing tutorials but haven't seen anything explaining how to do something like this so I thought I would just ask here.
Work has Solidworks 09 so that is what I am using. I've had no training for CAD except some tutorial videos.

Thank you,
Phiz

Edited by: Phizinza

Thank! After reading a tutorial of using that tool I managed to get the type of thing I was aiming for.
smiley7.gif

piece2.jpg

Should I start a new thread on how to make the "dog teeth" on that angled side, or just post in here?

Edited by: Phizinza

Sorry.. I do not understand the question. What is "dog teeth" ? Can you make a drawing ? (even in MS Paint
smiley1.gif
)

Sorry for my poor use of terminology. I've updated the MS Paint picture with the type of gear teeth it needs. The idea is they will act somewhat like a ratchet against another piece.
If the image looks no different above please use Ctrl + F5 to refresh your browsers cache.
Thanks!

I try to upload the file but I can not.

So... email me and I'll send you the SW file.

Note that I use SW 2009. If you use older version you can not open the file.

Anyway... email me and we find together a way.

[email protected]

Hi Guys,

I've been away for a few days in sunny England and only seen this post today. How are you all getting on with it?

Any chance we could keep it in the forum rather than private e-mailing it so that other users can see the steps taken to make this type of part which will benefit them.

Phiz, are the teeth on the part tapered on their sides as this comlicates the part? There's lots of ways to do it including using surfacing techniques but if you're new to CAD that could be abit advanced for now.

Heres a quick pic of an example done on ProE but the principal is the same in SW. Well I tried to uplaod it but it's not working at the min but will keep trying.

Sorry Michel. I try too to upload the file. Even now I see a frozen message: "Please be patient while the file is being uploaded to the server." . And I am patient in the last half of hour.
smiley36.gif

And my english is not enoutgh to tell how I make the part. Sorry again. So...

Good luck guys !

I have tried several times to upload the image but it's not working.

Have you managed to get anywhere with it Phiz? For someone whose beginning in CAD it's tricky enough.

I will try again to upload the file. I wonder if the site administrators can ched any light on why we can't upload any images???!!!
smiley5.gif

Mihail said:
Even now I see a frozen message: "Please be patient while the file is being uploaded to the server." . And I am patient in the last half of hour.
smiley36.gif

I've been fooled by that message too. It's a warning message that you will need to be patient as soon as it starts uploading. It doesn't start to upload until you hit OK.
smiley7.gif

DGS !

When I try to upload the file, a mesage say: (repeat: FILE, not IMAGE)

"Files must be of the type zip, rar, and have a maximum file size of 500 KB.

My file is a RAR archive. Size: 191 KB (Size on disk: 192 KB)

I try, of corse, to press OK, but I recive other message (from Internet Explorer, this time):

"i The page cannot be displayed

There is a problem with the page you are tryng to reach and it cannot be displayed"
Edited by: Mihail

Sorry I haven't replied, I've been away on a 4WD holiday in freezing cold Victoria (in Australia).

Micheal yes the teeth are tappered on the sides so they look like

/

I learn, from you,a new word in english: "tapper".

Phizinza ! The easy way is to use CHAMFER feature for doing that.

Sorry, but still I can't upload the file.

I will have a look at the Chamfer tool tomorrow. Sorry, it should of been "taper", not "tapper"

Tapered as in like these tapered bearings
Tapered_Roller_Bearing.jpg

Phizinza, what's your e-mail address and I'll send the files (images and solid model) so you can up load them.

Thanks for that, not being able to upload anything is quite frustrating.
smiley7.gif

Micheal sent me these two files:

prt0001.igs

clutch.jpg

Yes, that is pretty much what I need to do. If you Michael or someone else can explain to me or direct me to a tutorial on how to do it that would be great.

PS, I tried the Chamfer tool, but it done __|

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back