Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

drafting a curved surface

timjr

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to create a feature that is basically a curved cut, with the resulting surface drafted. Sorry for a poor explanation, I can emaila file to anyone interested in helping me out.

Thanks,

Tim

I've tried to attach some images to show what I am trying to do. I would like the drafted cut to actually follow the path of the curve I have shown. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
Edited by: timjr

use

sweep -> cut

then select ur curve

draw ur shape that u want to sweep.

presto :)

if not give more information

Thanks, but I tried that first. The problem is that the cut needs to get smaller the farther out it gets, kind of like a cone, but with a slighter angle. Doing this straight is not a problem, but to curve it is another story. Since I can't get the images to upload, I'd be happy to email to anyone willing to have a look.

Thanks,

Tim

Got this from a Coach Demo, you should be able to use this principle to buile your geometry..
http://www.cadtrain.com
you can download the files from
http://www.cadtrain.com/courses/wf2_demo/CADTRN-129185/CADTR N/wildfire2/en/umodel/files.html
Create a variable section sweep feature that represents the left side of the engine nacelle inlet fairing shown below.
Working Directory: adv_modeling
2002_u3_100.jpg

Figure 1
1. Open section_trajpar.prt.
00wild03_004.gif

Figure 2
2. Create the Section for the feature.
<UL ="text">
u3s2a.gif
Choose
vssweep.gif
[/list]
<BLOCKQUOTE>
u3s2a.gif
Choose
solid.gif

u3s2a.gif
Select the large semicircle datum curve </BLOCKQUOTE>

00wild03_005.gif

<B ="figure">Figure 3[/B]
<UL ="text">

u3s2a.gif
Choose
thin.gif

u3s2a.gif
Change the thickness value to 0.125

u3s2a.gif
Choose
sketch.gif
[/list]

00wild03_006.gif

<B ="figure">Figure 4[/B]
To save time and some sketching effort, the profile of the section is already drawn as three datum curves, as shown below. You might be tempted to just use Use Edge to create your section curves. You can use Use Edge to create the curves, but you must then remove the Alignment constraint...if the curves remain Aligned, they will NOT be affected by the trajpar value and will not change size as the section is swept.
<BLOCKQUOTE>
u3s2a.gif
Zoom in on the section and turn Datum Planes and Datum Points off</BLOCKQUOTE>

00wild03_007.gif

<B ="figure">Figure 5[/B]
<BLOCKQUOTE>
bullet_dot.gif
Choose
use_edge.gif
and select the three curves </BLOCKQUOTE>

00wild03_008.gif

<B ="figure">Figure 6[/B]
The three curves now need to be unaligned. You can do this using the References window.
<BLOCKQUOTE>
bullet_dot.gif
Choose Sketch
bullet_dot.gif
Choose References</BLOCKQUOTE>
The References window is displayed showing the references for the three curves that have just been created. All three curves reference Curve:F6. These references must be deleted.
00wild03_009.gif

Figure 7
<BLOCKQUOTE>
bullet_dot.gif
Select each curve reference listed and then choose the Delete action button</BLOCKQUOTE>
As each reference is deleted, a dimension will be applied to the applicable curve.
<BLOCKQUOTE>
bullet_dot.gif
Choose the Close action button</BLOCKQUOTE>
<UL ="text">
u3s2a.gif
As shown below, make sure the side curves are tangent with the upper curve and make sure the sketch is dimensioned as shown below[/list]
00wild03_010.gif

Figure 8
3. Add the section relation and complete the feature
<BLOCKQUOTE>
bullet_dot.gif
Choose Info
bullet_dot.gif
Choose Switch Dimensions
bullet_dot.gif
Choose Tools
bullet_dot.gif
Choose Relations</BLOCKQUOTE>
Notice that when the Relations editor is opened it shows that you are going to be entering Section Relations (in the Look In option menu) and also displays the section name.
<BLOCKQUOTE>
bullet_dot.gif
Type in the following relation:
sd13 = ( 1.5 * trajpar ) + 1</BLOCKQUOTE>
sd13, as shown above, may not be the dimension symbol on your part. Use the actual symbol that is the width dimension at the bottom of the section.

<BLOCKQUOTE>
bullet_dot.gif
Choose OK
u3s2a.gif
Choose
check_mark.gif
</BLOCKQUOTE>

00wild03_jpg007.jpg

<B ="figure">Figure 9[/B]
<UL ="text">
u3s2a.gif
Choose
check_mark_dashboard.gif
[/list]

00wild03_jpg008.jpg

Figure 10
3. Close the part.

hope this helps..
Edited by: james.lynch

IF ur after something abit more simple.

View attachment 602

this was done via

insert -> sweep blend -> cut

and u can adjust the transition from section to section.

but if u want something more accurate VSS is the best way. This still gives the right impression and is much easier to do.

To add more sections just add more datum point's on the curve. or more points on ur initial sketch via a spline curve ,

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back