Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

distributed mass

gimmejava

What is the preferred method for doing a smeared weight distribution in Pro/Mechanica. Here is the situation I'm trying to do:

In the process of learning Mechanica, I"m trying to replicate the results in a book on vibration analysis by Steinberg. Steinberg is calculating the dynamic bending stress in a 1.0 lb printed circuit board that is 7.0 x 8.0 x .062 in. thick. I won't get in to any of the other details, but I'd like to apply a 1.0 lb smear mass to the card. If I apply the material density, then the weight is maybe .3 lbs at most. I'm open to suggestions, so feel free to offer your opinion. My thought was to apply a .7 lb weighted link, with it coupled with the .3lbs of the bare board, would give me the 1.0 lb mass. Other question, how to do the weighted link? I applied a mass to a datum point, then did a weighted link, generated my mesh and errored out on the analysis due to the mass not being attached on any elements. Please help.

Thanks,
Randall

Mass and weight are not interchangeable. You will need to apply a load by specifying gravity in your simulation.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back