Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dimensioning between two arcs or circles

marnoc151

I am a CO-OP CAD Designer at Wellman Products Group in Medina Ohio, and I have only been using PRO/E for about 8 months now. I am getting into some drawings that I am redrawing in PRO/E and I cannot figure out how to dimension between two arcs or two circles. When I try to dimension between two arcs/circles, it gives me the option between center or tangent, and I need tangent, but then it asks vertical or horizontal, well neither vertical or horizontal work for me because they both look very sloppy, and i was wondering how to create a dimension where the witness lines are in the shape of the arc it is dimensioning. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Jimmy Bailey

Cad Designer

Wellman Products Group

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. however if you are creating a dimension in the drawing itself and you want to create a dimension between two circles that are tangent and horizontal.

1. Insert/dimension/new referances/

2. just select the arc of the 1st circle and the select the arc of

the 2nd circle.

3. Now Pro/E ask for either center or tangent of the 1st circle.

select tangent.

4. Now Pro/E ask for either center or tangent of the 2nd circle.

select tangent.

5. Now the option of horizontal/vertical/paralle or normal

come up. (select horizontal).

And that should do it.

I already got the Horozontal placement, but that doesnt fit my needs. What I am looking for is the witness lines (the lines that point to the dimensons) to follow the curves I am dimensioning. if you still do not understand i can send you an image of the hand drawing i am converting and you can tell from that

here is the example.. how the dimensions are between two arcs, and there are no straight witness lines , they are curved with the archttp://www.proecentral.com/uploads/images/11564.jpg

James may be you should send me an Image. with witness lines in Pro/E you can make a jog or a few other things. But I dont think you can make them follow an arc.

James; I created a solid thin protrusion. and to show the thickness in the drawing I created a dimension from the O.D to the I.D. and when I select the placement. I selected in between the two with middle mouse. and chose the consentric.

Try this. I hope this is what you ment.

This is how you would accomplish the dimensioning. A sketched centerline with two points. Dimension the points in the sketch and drop the dimension between the points.

View attachment 244

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back