Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

difference FEM FEA

koendelausnay

hello

I need to make for school a report of FEM and FEA, but what
is the difference between them? I have searched all over
the internet but I didn't find the answer

thanks for your help

I suspect you arereferring to the differences between "finite-element" and "finite-difference" methods. Each uses a different mathematical approach.

If so, this reference be useful.

H.K Versteeg and W. Malalasekera, " An introduction to computational fluid dynamics: The finite volume, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York.

Upon reading that book title, imagine if there were "infinite element analysis" since that would require an "infinite volume" of books... say goodbye to every tree
smiley36.gif

FEM=FEA

Finite Difference Analysis (FDA) <> FEA(FEM)

Finite difference restricts the element size to be the same. (Particular)

Finite difference uses a control volume approach, usually more suited to CFD (computational fluid dynamics) and sometimes heat transfer problems. The control volumes are as far as I know all the same size. An FEA (finite element analysis) does indeed use the FEM (finite element method) as has already been mentioned a couple of times.

FEM:finite element method...is the methodlogy of analysis

in others words: a fluid dynamic analysis using finite element ( i am not talking about finite volumen method!!) or a stress analysis using finite elements are analysis that are been done using finite elements as mathematical methodology (not a volumetric methidology as example)

FEA:finite element analysis... now FEA is the analysis of a structure (stress analysis) or the analysis of fluid (using Cmputer fluid dynamics software that use finite elements as a methodology of elements diferentiation)

there are others methodology as boundary elements, volumentric elements etc...

FEM are the oldest and the most used in simulation softwares (such ansys, abaqus, samcef, mechanica , nastran , ls dyna, .....)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back