Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Did I miss something?

G

I called PTC the other day to get a price quote on Pro/E with the advanced Mechanica - $17,000 (u.s.)!!!!!

Why in the world is the price so high? I bought the student edition for $350 - now granted, it's not fully functional, but seriously folks... Did I ask for the wrong thing, or is this really the cost of the package?

This is probably the price. A seat of Pro/ENGINEER without all the bells and whistles is ~$5,000. That doesn't include analysis, manufacturing, mold design, casting, cabling, piping, etc. It wouldn't suprise me if Mechanica is $17,000.

Did you review the intro Mechanica package? It is quite a bit cheaper (still in the thousands of dollars) if it can do what you need.

That sounds like list prices. But I thought it was either Basic or Advanced Mechanica, not both. I don't know, but supposedly these packages are priced competitively with their competition. At least Pro/ENGINEER isn't $20,000 for the same functionality like it used to be.

I know this doesn't make you feel any better.

Think they were referring to your the software has paid for itself, over 100 times, already comment.....

I've never heard of anyone having a legit home copy, actually I've never even heard of anyone having an illegal copy of PRO. Solidworks, AutoCAD, and the likes I've heard of cracked copies of but never PRO. Does one even exist? This is just out of curiousity mind you, I have no plans to pursue this!

Cracked copies of Pro are not that hard to find. Try a file-sharing software like Kazaa or Sharezaa. And if you are a little sneaky you can use your companies license at home. My old company actually bought me a license, because I was using my own workstation.

Yes, thats about right. Typically a company has many seats of Pro and only one seat for Mechanica.

Maybe we are all on the wrong side of this business;)

cschuette,

As ProFishent says, copies of pro are not hard to find... and if you know what to look for, it is even easier to get a flexlm license generator... even for Wildfire.

Now, I am in no way condoning the use of illegal licenses. Far from it... anyone that wants to use Pro/E should buy a license from PTC or from a reseller.

Can't remember how the license agreements are worded though... is it ok to use a license from a registerd installation site at a home address?

nlphillips,

Address doesn't matter, I work at home with Pro/E. The licence locks to your NIC address or HD id number.

Legally a software licence can only limit the use to one copy on at a time.

jperkins

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back