Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Register Log in

Diamond Knurling

Lesley

Hello

I'm trying to create a diamond knurl on a cylinder (computer is half way out the window as I'm typing!!), but am having problems following the Suggested Technique for Creating Knurling on a Cylindrical Surfacefrom the PTC site. When I try to pattern the helical sweep, I can't find the angle dimension from the datum. Failing this, anyone know anywhere I can view a model of a knurl so I can pick up some tips? Please help....

Thanks, Lesley

eServ

Just out of curiosity, did you use a Make Datum at an angle as your reference plane? That is what it sounds like to me.

street_preacher

Your datum for the patterned helical sweep can't be a fixed datum, but one created on the fly, using an existing datum to create the datum at the angle dimension. Use the cylindrical surface or the cylinder's axis to create a through datum then use one of the paralleldatum planes(one that the axis is NOT normal to) to use as an (angled?) offset.

Sponsor